We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking Nepal

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trekking Nepal

My husband & I just returned from 5 weeks in Nepal - did Annapurna Circuit. Amazing ! What I learned - I WOULD NOT BOOK THROUGH A COMPANY. You can make your way to Kathmandu, Thamel, from airport easily. Easy to find hotel in Thamel - I suggest International Guest House or KTM Guest House - but many more. TAKE A GUIDE & PORTER. They make life so much easier and are cheap - US.$10 for porter & $12 for guide. - don't try to find the cheapest - this is their living and work is very limited! I can give names of a few excellent ones. Pay your own way on treks - you then get to choose where you stay and eat what you want. TAKE YOUR TIME ON TREKS - you are there to enjoy not beat a time in a guidebook. Email me if you have any questions.

Seattle
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekking Nepal

I am very interested in your recent trip to Nepal. My wife and I want to do part of the Annapurna circuit and are planning to use a guide and porter a friend of ours used a few years ago. We live in Seattle and I'm in Vancouver fairly frequently--would you mind if I phoned? Plan to be there before Christmas.

Thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trekking Nepal

Mr2,

I'm new to these forums and don't see a method to respond to you. My email is danfoe@hotmail.com

Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trekking Nepal

If you go to Pokhara, ýou can start your trip to the Annapurna circuit there also. Many nice small guesthouses in a lovely town at lake. All the guesthouses provide guides and porters, I suggest you book it with them .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trekking Nepal

Hi mr2

Am heading for Nepal soon and looking to do some trekking so name of good guide would be appreciated. Thanks

Paradise
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trekking Nepal

It is wise to join with agency and ask for guide service only if your are buget traveller and not willing to afford whole package. Hiring guide form the agency cost you only USD10 and for porter USD8. It also includes guide's and porter's insurance, equipment, and appluse service. So why not choose a company for your hassel free trip. I run an adventure company but don't want to confess any URL or email of mine as other do.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trekking Nepal

Thanks Brainstorming, I'm coming to the same conclusion about an agency. I appreciate your discretion. If you'd like to let me know the name of your agency, you can email me at:

michaelg001@yahoo.com

Thanks again

Edmonton
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trekking Nepal

Can you give some advice for a single female traveller wanting to trek the Anapurna Circuit in late February? How do you go about finding a guide and porter when you get there? And how do you make sure they are reputable, and not going to take you for a ride?

Ontario
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trekking Nepal

Just curious, did you carry your bags during the trek or did the porter do that, and if he did, how was it possible he carried both your bags? My bf and I are going to be trekking in Oct and we're concerned that it will be difficult carrying our bags.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trekking Nepal

Definately its more cheaper to hire guide/porter from the street/out of agent but also some security and reliabilty option.Its wonderful idea for budget traveller.

But I have such experince on the case of this idea.

Some rescue/emergency cases will be effected and get more difficult.

malaysia
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trekking Nepal

i m thinking bout travelling annapura circuit with my husband next year...thot of going under some agency with a 12 days package holiday..what do u think?