We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dashain Festival 2010 again...

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Dashain Festival 2010 again...

Hi everyone

The earlier posts for this topic was removed due to inactivity for 6 months. Could I open it again please as I am planning to travel to Nepal for two weeks and would love to coincide it with this year's Dashain/Dasai festival.

Does anyone know the exact dates of the festival?

kathmandu
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dashain Festival 2010 again...

Oct 14 , 15, 16, 17 are the final date for Dashain 2010.

15th is the day where you will see the sacrifice of goats & cattles

last day 17th october is the climax day ,

where peoples will receive blessings from their seniour .

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dashain Festival 2010 again...

Thanks for responding so quickly Murphy!!

Am planning 8th to 25th October - this should give me a perfect window for enjoying the Dashain festival. Cool!

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dashain Festival 2010 again...

By the way...

Can anyone recommend any good, cheapish places to stay and eat in Kathmandu?

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dashain Festival 2010 again...

Hi there,

You can see Pilgrims Guest House, Hotel Blue Horizon, Hotel Nature, Hotel Encounter Nepal, Hotel Manang, Thorong Peak Guest House etc. They are budget hotel in Kathmandu but have good recognition.

5. Re: Dashain Festival 2010 again...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 September 2010, 16:05
London
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dashain Festival 2010 again...

you can find any type of accomodation in Kathmandu, tell me your budget and i would recommend you some nice places

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dashain Festival 2010 again...

Thanks for all your messages guys - really appreciate the offers (especially the promise of a surprise!!).

As luck would have it - I will be able to stay with one of the JICA volunteers in Kathmandu, so that angle's sorted!

Thanks again.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dashain Festival 2010 again...

How is Kathmandu with this festival , very ,very crowded ? and is everything closed , can i find transport during the festival or is everything closed and out of order ....

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dashain Festival 2010 again...

Hi there, [jiskefet]

Kathmandu is not so crowed at Dashain time because many people who live in Kathmandu temporarily go to their home for celebrating the festival. Not everything is closed; but few people who do not go to their home or local people from Kathmandu still open the shops etc. Probably taxi will be available in little bit more price. I assume that you will fine the transportation facilities in Kathmandu even in Dashain.

London
Level Contributor
270 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dashain Festival 2010 again...

I was in KTM for the peak of Dasain some years ago, after 3 weeks trekking in the Annapurnas. The eve of the "main" day invcolved lots of slaughtering all around the town streets - but on the "main" day I found myself in a small square at the top end of Durbar Square - somehow I wandered into it, there were hundreds of senior and retired army officers in a ceremony there, and they were slaughtering bullocks every few minutes, had 2 sacrificial stands going non-stop. Memorable.

re. food in KTM - I was chilling out after a long trek, I found the "best" restaurants in Thamel were so relatively cheap that I did a circuit of them over 5 or 6 evenings - Nepali, French, steak, etc. Not really worth trying to economise too much.