We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easy without guides trekking in nepal

Perth, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
easy without guides trekking in nepal

hey all

i am planning on going to nepal very soon and have been advised there is an area which you can trek from village to village quiet easy without expensive tour groups.

if anyone has information about this it would be of great help

thanks

vanessa

kathmandu
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: easy without guides trekking in nepal

Hi

Good decision to go Nepal.well,You can trek some parts of Annapurna,Everest & Langtang regions with out guide & could find the trail but I would recommend you to trek with at least with guide or porter.As guide explain you about the culture,people,trails,mountain,religion,altitude sickness,help you to find good accomodation & safety as well.For example if you face any problems in high Mountain region guide can advise you the optional way & porter does the same.

with you have good trek to nepal

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: easy without guides trekking in nepal

Hi Vanessa Greetings , it is Possible to do Trekking in Nepal with out the Guides,Porter especially

In Annapurna Region & Everest region as these places you met loads of Other trekkers Every few Minutes & There are tea Houses or little Shops every 30~40 Minutes No Need To Be worried to trek on your Own ,as the Data of Trekking Agents Association Of Nepal shows almost 12.5 % Of trekkers goes trekking by them selves.

Enjoy The Trek.

Regards

Hotel Glacier Pokhara

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,655 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: easy without guides trekking in nepal

You can trek in the Everest, Annapurna and Langtang / Helambu regions without any staff (Guides or Porters) But a lot of people do prefer to hire at least a porter/guide, besides providing a little much needed local employment, you also get to find out a little more about the culture and language of the area that you are trekking through.

I agree with your sentiments about not joining large groups as this takes away all flexibility form treks, but to hire out a porter/guide only works out at around $10 each split between 2 people and he can then both guide you as well as carry 15k, so this saves you packing most of your gear and for me makes a much pleasanter trekking experience

Good Luck and Happy Trekking

Rob

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
436 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: easy without guides trekking in nepal

You do not need to join a large (or small!) "group" fixed trek for any of the mainstream trekking areas - pretty much every agency in KTM will be happy to arrange a private trek for you to suit what/where/how/when you want !! You can also arrange yourself with private guide/porters etc.

I would certainly recommend using a suitable agency or private guide/porters as you get to see & learn more, have an easier time of it concentrating on your trekking & what's around you, and importantly provide local employment.

All can be sorted & booked in advance by email & you will find plenty of recommended trek agencies and private guides through the web, & via TA, LP etc

Perth, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: easy without guides trekking in nepal

Thanks guys

I do agree with helping out the locals so no problems there. I'm just a wanderer and if I want to sit and meditate schedules don't suit me. 

I was going to bring my trip forward but original plan works best where weather is concerned. 

Will post heaps more questions as I come up with more of a plan.

Cheers

Edited: 06 August 2011, 13:46
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: easy without guides trekking in nepal

Hey you can see the map to the Annapurnas i think is all you need.

www.mysecretplanet.com/DIY-Thorong-La-Trek

Every time i've been there are lots of people solo trekking and of course some large groups. Groups always look kind of miserable and sick, being rushed for one place to another.

Trekking is best done in small sub groups i thinks.

Dublin
Level Contributor
14 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: easy without guides trekking in nepal

I had similar concerns before going to Nepal but from my experience It's no problem doing any of the major treks by yourself and you'll have plenty of opportunities to meet other solo trekkers so chances are you'll end up trekking with someone else for at least part of the way.

Langtang, ABC, Annapurna Circuit and EBC are manageable, Langtang is the easiest of them but stunning scenery. Buy a good map and the correct clothing, the weather can change from blue skies to a downpour very quickly, take your time and drink plenty of water and acclimatize properly. All the trails are easy to follow so there's no need for a guide. If you decide to bring a guide this can be arranged easily in Pokhara or Kathmandu.

Norwich, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: easy without guides trekking in nepal

Trekking over 3,000 metres requires you to have an awareness of AMS and good insurance cover. Don't underestimate the Himalayas and the altitude. If you develop problems you are falling down as if you are drunk - you may not be able to manage that alone. Bear in mind Nepalis are always welcoming and helpful - brilliant people. Then there are bad apples - if you are walking alone - try to go along with others - this is not a 100 percent safe environment for a woman alone. Google Aubrey Sacco - they are still looking for her - among others.

9. Re: easy without guides trekking in nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2011, 13:34
Plainview, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: easy without guides trekking in nepal

I am planning to do the Jomson trek in April

If I want a guide How do you arrange for a private guide, for only two people?

If I do not have a guide I have the following questions

How long is the bus ride from Kathmandu to Pokhara?

How long is the bus ride from Jomson to Kathmandu?

Do I need to reserve a seat in advance or just show up at the bus depot?