We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lukla airport and safety concerns. Views ?

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Lukla airport and safety concerns. Views ?

Hi fellow adventurers. I am planning a trip around everest but am concerned about the safety record at Lukla airport. Ok it's in a remote region which brings it's own issues but can anyone put my mind at rest or advise whether you can travel by bus from katmandu.

Thanks folks. Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Lukla
Lukla
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
Everest Scenic Flight
7 Reviews
from US$210.00*
Free Cancellation
Everest base camp helicopter tour
from US$1,650.00*
Free Cancellation
Nepal Heritage Tour
from US$1,200.00*
Free Cancellation
Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lukla airport and safety concerns. Views ?

No way that u get a bus to Lukla from Kathmandu , when u google it says one of the most dengerious airport in the world but when u go there u dnt fill that I found one of the most Beautiful airport Of Nepal ... Regards Hotel Glacier Pokhara

Mentioned in this post
Lukla
Lukla
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
328 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lukla airport and safety concerns. Views ?

If you want to avoid flying to Lukla only option is walking all the way from Lukla. Takes you around 7-8 days.

Mentioned in this post
Lukla
Lukla
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lukla airport and safety concerns. Views ?

Personally I Love Lukla ;-)

There has only been one crash there that I know about in the last 20 years and there are several daily flights – So statistically you would have to be very unlucky to be involved in one – No real alternatives, you can walk in from Jiri in about 6 days after a 12 hour bus ride from Kathmandu – Or in abut 9 days from Tumlingtar which is an even longer bus ride.

Travel with Good Karma and you will be fine

Good Luck

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Lukla
Lukla
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lukla airport and safety concerns. Views ?

Due to the location of Lukla Airport, it is a dangerous airport. But the pilots flying there are very skilled and they too have family, that they want to come home to every day.

Every day planes is taking off and landing in Lukla. But what you read about in the newspapers is not all the succesful flying in and out. Only the fatal ones is mentioned and getting public attention.

When the weather is getting too rough, schelduled flying is cancelled and passengers just have to wait until the conditions are safe again.

I have 'googled' 'statitics in Lukla Airport' and found the following link:

aviation-safety.net/database/…

I hope it can give you some rest in mind, because even though that one plane crash is one too many, there is actually long time between the accidents in Lukla.

Please write again, if this did not help you and you need other kind of reassurence!

Mentioned in this post
Lukla
Lukla
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
UK
Level Contributor
267 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lukla airport and safety concerns. Views ?

Part of the beauty of the Everest region is that "entry" is actually limited by the fact it is a 7 day walk or a flight so puts a relative cap on the number of people. If it was easy to get to it would be overun with tourists.

London
Level Contributor
512 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lukla airport and safety concerns. Views ?

Hi Lisa

I am the worst flier in the world but the flight into Lukla was OK (I had to shut my eyes though when we were coming into land).

The alternative hike is very boring.

Mentioned in this post
Lukla
Lukla
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lukla airport and safety concerns. Views ?

Well the air safety stats sadly say otherwise

London
Level Contributor
512 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lukla airport and safety concerns. Views ?

Enjoy the walk!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lukla airport and safety concerns. Views ?

I can't agree that the walk in from Jiri is boring, though that's simply a matter of personal opinion. It's a very up and down route across the grain of the terrain, but traverses delightful rural areas.

There must be around 1000 flights into and out of Lukhla each year. The statistics are in your favour (though obviously it's not the world's safest destination) !

10. Re: Lukla airport and safety concerns. Views ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 15:17