We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many touts in this forum!!!

styrx
Level Contributor
234 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
So many touts in this forum!!!

Am doing some research for my Nepal trip next year, and I see many touting in the forum; those who have only a single post and giving testimonial to some trekking company.

So whose opinion do I really trust?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
709 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So many touts in this forum!!!

your own ;-)

It is very easy to do Nepal (including trekkings) on your own.

Ps: Get a good guidebook to get you started.

Cheers

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,263 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So many touts in this forum!!!

It's a shame, but happens in many other forums for 3rd world countries too.

If you still want a SERIOUS recommendation for the companies-with-one-single-post-testimonials (instead of just scrapping them because resorting to these techniques alone would be a showstopper for us):

Send a PM to that single-post tourist and ask some more details. After 3-4 exchanges you can rather easily distinguish between real tourist and fake Nepalese friend-of-company-scammer; same technique as with too-good-to-be-true Nigerian legacies or Russian life partners ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

San Jose
Level Contributor
141 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So many touts in this forum!!!

I think you are right about some unreliable (in some cases pure lies) given by people who have one single post. When I planned for my Nepal trek 3 years ago, I was confused too and in the end decided to ignore recommendations for the companies done by these single posters! I recommend to you to check the history of the poster and see if they posted some relevant questions (basically see their contributions section on this web site) and not just one single strong recommendation. You want recommendations from fellow travellers that have your interest in mind and not their own!

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
841 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So many touts in this forum!!!

Yeah you have to filter out the touts, but between the destination experts and the trip reports that come from folks with multiple postings these forums have proved to be extremely useful in planning our last six trips.

They do seem to be quite numerous on the South Asia forums and I can see where it would be confusing to first time visitors.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So many touts in this forum!!!

Always a difficult one this – Although I know that Touts are really annoying, I think they break down into two categories – Those who try and Con a potential client with false claims. False testimonials or posing as a trekker while really being a trekking agent / guide – These I have No Sympathy for!!

But there is also the more honest guy who is just trying to spread the word about either himself or his agency – And Really I can’t fault people for trying to do that.

Also – If everyone went purely from recommendations such as my own then that would create a bit of an imbalance.

There was one infamous Tout on here for a long time – Guideupendra – He posted nearly every day and still claimed to be a trekking guide, even though anyone checking out his posting history could easily tell that he wouldn’t have time to go trekking ;-)

I Wonder What ever happened to him ??

Good luck and Happy Travels to Nepal to one and all

Rob

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
139 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So many touts in this forum!!!

Too many touts..some are professional and some are non professional....but some are very professional, you would never find out ...i have seen all ...take care and enjoy your trip!!

Edited: 13 September 2011, 14:57
7. Re: So many touts in this forum!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 15:17