We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus

We are planning PoonHill trek at the beginning of April.l We have 6 days for the trek. Because we have one extra day (6 days, not 5) we would to add something to the standard Poon Hill trek. The options are Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus. In case we add Chomrong we will fo from Tadapani to Chomrong, then to Ghandruk and after to Naya Pul. In case we add Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus we will go from Tadapani to Ghandruk after Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus and after to Phedi. What is more beautiful and recommended in April ? What is easier ? Where the views of the mountains are more beautiful. We thought that Chomrong has more beautiful view because the mountains are closer but we would like to get some advices also.

Does Chomrong has accomodation with private showers ?

Another option we thought is to make all the way from Ghorepani to Ghandruk in one day (including visit of the Poon Hill at sunrise) and the another day to go to Chomrong and after Landruk- Pothana-Dhampus. Is it possible to go from Ghorepani to Ghandruk in one days ot it's really hard? We are not experienced trekkers and this is our first big trek.

Thank you for the answers and advices.

Kathmandu,Nepal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus

Blooming Rhododrendron ow,

Yes, Chhomrong has accomodation with private bathroom. And Ghorepani to Ghandruk is possible in one day leave Ghorepani after Poon hill sunrise view. It is not so hard, normally trekkers do it.

I would suggest you go to Chhomrong and next day just on the way back at Jhino Danda where is the hot spring, visit that and then continue to Landruk/Pothana/Dhampus. Drove a line if there is any confusion.

Guide

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus

No Problem

Your routes seam a bit backwards and forwards to me !!??

Why not consider something like this

1) Leave Pokhara in the early afternoon by taxi to Phidi and trek to Dhampus, Uphill, quite steep at times and passing through terraces, arriving there late afternoon

2) Dhampus to Landruk – about ¾ days trek crossing one ridge then mainly downhill to Landruk

3) Landruk to Chomrong- about ¾ days trek downhill at first to cross the Modi Kosi at “ New Bridge” (No Bridge!!) and the Steeply uphill to Chomrong

4) Chomrong to Tadapani - Full day - You cross one small ridge, then it is considerably up, initially through terraced agricultural land, then into forest before finally reaching Tadopani

5) Tadapani to Ghoropani (Poon Hill) ¾ day - first down through forest, then you undulate through a mixture of agricultural land and more forest, one small up and over then generally downhill into Ghoropani.

6) After getting up at the crack of dawn to see the sunrise on the top of Poon Hill, Either Ghoropani to Birithanti or Tatopani – both ¾ day treks and downhill all the way (You can also trek from Ghoropani to Naya Pul in one long day and be back in Pokhara by late evening)

7) From Birithanti to Nayapool – 1 hours hike and then bus back to Pokhara

From Tatopani to Beni by jeep then bus back to Pokhara

The above suggestion can easily be seen on this downloadable trekking map

…umbra.cz/img/map/Annapurna_1_125000_150_dpi…

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

PS – I have written up a few reviews on the teahouses on the route in the Hotel tips section of my Nepal blog at

members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus

Or do Rob's itinerary but in the reverse direction. You then have the choice of several routes out from Chhomrong - see itinerary for the Annapurna Santuary trek under 'Top Questions' at the top of this page

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus

Hi There Greetings From Nepal : Please Check Flowing itinerary For the 5 Night & 6 Days PPOHILL CHOMRONG Trek ,

Day 1 : Pokhara to Ghandruk

Day 2 : Ghandruk to Chomrong

Day 3:Chomrong To Tadapani

Day 4 : Tadapani to Ghorepani

Day 5 : Ghorepani to Ulleri / Hille

Day 6 : to Nayapul & Drive Back To Pokhara

Or Day 5 : You Can trek Down to The Hot Spring (Tatopani) have nice Deep in on the natural Hot Bath & Day 6 Trek to Beni From beni Get a Transport Back to Pokhara.Or The Plan that has Provided By Rob by going Threw Dhampus Landruk area also Ideal

Enjoy The Trek

Regards

Raja.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus

Hello,

I would like to thank for all the answers.

My question is what is more beautiful Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus ? If I can choose only one of them is prefered? Where are better views and more beautiful ?

In case I will go from Ghorepani to Gandruk in one day I have time also for both Chomrong and Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus. But if I have to break Ghorepani to Gandruk in two days, then the quesstion is what is more recommendable : Ghorepani-Tadapani-Chomrong-Gandruk-Naya Pul or Ghorepani-Tadapani-Gandruk-Landruk-Dhampus-Phedi ?

Thank you for the answer

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus

I either case the views will be similar (and once you leave Ghorepani Deorali and reach Chhomrong or Ghandruk they'll be behind you as you trek. but that gives you ample reason to pause frequently to look towards Annapurna South and Macchepuchare !).

Both options you suggest are superb. I love the trail between Landuk and Dhampus - delightful rural landscapes, terraces and farms, which you'd traverse on your second option, but also the views from Chhomrong are excellent.

Personally I'd compromise, and go Ghorepani - Tadapani - Chhomrong - Sauli Bazar - Nyapul. The day from Chhomrong to Sauli Bazar is fairly short, and after the initial descent is very gentle trekking, following the valley of the Modi Khola. You'd have time for a wallow in the surrealistic hot spring below Jinhu Danda before lunch. Once you've passed the New Bridge (where the Ghandruk - Landruk route crosses the river) you continue in the valley, through very pleasant farmed landscapes, following a 'road' that doesn't carry any traffic, but ,makes for easy walking, down to Birethanti and then on to Nyapul

Kathmandu,Nepal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus

Hi there,

I do recommend, if you are going to breaking Ghorepani to Gandruk in two days, then Ghorepani-Tadapani-Gandruk-Landruk-Dhampus-Phedi.

You are welcome if still there is something confusion.

Guide

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus

in My Point of view you Have to Forget About Ghandruk !!!! now you can make ghorepani Tadapni in 1 Day & Move on to Chomrong NExt Day Return two Wards Jhinudanda (Hot Spring) Landruk-Tolka-Deaurali-Pothana Dhampus This would be ideal . Than Going to Ghorepani Ghandruk in One Day & Climb again to Chomrong you Wont Miss Alot By Escaping Ghandruk in my Opinion .

Have a Great Trek in the Annapurna.

Regards

Raja.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus

I would like to visit Ghandruk. At the pictures it looks like a very beautiful village with beauiful house, a monastery and beautiful views. At the pictures it looks more beutifuk tha other places. I thought Chomrong is beyyer to visit because it closer to the mountains. Or Landruk-Pothana-Damphus is better to visit ? From the answers I understand that Landruk-Pothana-Damphus is more recommended. Why ?

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chomrong or Landruk-Pothana-Dhampus

View Post 6 From Alanyeti Landruk-Tolka-Deaurali Pothana Gives you a Great Felling Of Walking On the Nepalese Remote village Passing Many Peoples Houses & Amazing views of The Beautiful Landscape A Long With Amazing Rice Paddy Fields you Will Just Love This . As you Come down from Ghorepani & Tadapani View From Chomrong Will Be Nothing Too WOW But still you can Manage to Do it You have no Problem on Ghorepani Ghandruk in One day . & Make it Chomrong Next Day you Are Absolutely Right that Ghandruk is One Among the Biggest Gurung Community Village & it is as beautiful as you Imagine & See On The Picture , While In Ghandruk Please Do not Miss The Living Museum (Gurung Museum) This is a Worth Visiting too .

Enjoy The Trek

Regards

Raja