We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Nepal (ctrekking advice)

2 posts
Save Topic
New to Nepal (ctrekking advice)

Hi,

I'm looking for some tips about climbs in Nepal.  How does the Annapurna region compare to Mount Everest? As well as the climbing I'm interested in the journey of the Tibetans - does this ever cross paths with trekkers on any of the routes?

Thank you,

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Nepal (ctrekking advice)

Are you talking of trekking, or peak climbing ?

Both areas are superb, in slightly different ways. If anything I find the Annapurna area more varied than the Khumbu (towards Everest), more forest and farmland on the way to the Annapurna Sanctuary, but both will bring you face to face with incredible mountain landscapes.

Purely personally I find the Sanctuary trek if anything slightly harder than EBC - there's more in the way of ups and downs. On the other hand it reaxhes only 4200 metres, as opposed to 5500 at Kala Pattar for a great close-up view of Everest, so there's less likelihood of any altitude-related problems. It's also a shorter trek - can be done in 9 - 13 days as opposed to 14 for EBC.

Logistically the Annapurna area has the advantage that you are not relying on flights into and out of Lukhla: you can reach the start of the trail by road from Pokhara.

You would encounter more Tibetan influence in the Everest area: the Nangpa La, down to Thame and thence to Namche, has been the route for many refugees (though there's a large Tibetan refugee settlement outside Pokhara).

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Nepal (ctrekking advice)

Thanks for the advice, it was trekking I was planning on doing. Another question, what level of fitness are we looking at in Nepal?

I'm perfectly happy walking around Cornwall for a day and have been ok in places like Patagonia and the Andes for treks, do you think the level required is similar? I guessing not for ECB?

Thanks again :)

Edited: 08 May 2012, 15:32
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Nepal (ctrekking advice)

From what you say you should have no problem, other than the need to acclimatise by gaining height slowly (particularly for the EBC trek). The normal itinerary (look at Top Questions at the top right of this page) takes heed of this, and days are relatively short.

Obviously the fitter you are the less strain the trek will cause, but frankly on my last visit, three years ago as a not very fit 65 year old smoker, though slow I had no particular problem reaching Kala Pattar (and was beaten to the summit by a 68 year old !)

4. Re: New to Nepal (ctrekking advice)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 00:16