We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base camp trek

London
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Base camp trek

Hi everyone

Just wanted to say big fan of TA and the advice given on it. My wife and I use TA constantly for our trips and value your comments.

We are planning a trip 7 month trip on our way home to oz and unfortunately due to our itinerary we are planning on doing a 16-18 day base camp trek in late January 2013 (i.e 19th onwards). We were wondering has anyone done a base camp trek in late January and if so what was it and the weather like? Would you think it is highly unadvisable to do it at this time of year?

Additionally after reading a few TA reviews we are trying to decide between the Ace and World Expedition trekking operators. Out of these two operators, would anyone have any advice as to which one would be a better operator to use?

We would appreciate any advice or feedback provided.

Thank you.

Mark

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base camp trek

In the end of January the climate is cold. You can find some snowing days, but when it's sunny the sky is completely clear and blue with a great view of mountains. If you don't suffer cold, you can go.

I've never travel with ace and world expeditions, hope someone coodl give you feedback.

Namaste

Rongpuk

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base camp trek

My personal advice will be; use a local agent for your trek in Nepal. That means your money will directly go to Nepali societies so that you can feel that you contributed at least a little to a poor Nepali society. On that can Ace is Nepali agent so use them! It is only my personal experience though.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base camp trek

World Expeditions appear to be an international company, and will charge you accordingly as they have to 'top slice' what you pay top cover their costs and profit. Most companies in that position subcontract the actual delivery of the trek to a local comnpany anyway, so you're better off dealing directly with a Nepali company, and cutting out the middle-man.

I have a list of companies that have been commented on by genuine TA travellers: send me a messagte if you want that list

4. Re: Base camp trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:15