We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nepal - how to see the Himalayas without trekking?!

portland, OR
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nepal - how to see the Himalayas without trekking?!

Hi all

I'm currently in Kathmandu, and trying to plan an itinerary to see the Himalayas that does not involve trekking. tricky, right!?

we're two travelers with some injuries that make it difficult to go far. I can walk at a slow pace on level ground for about 2-3 hours before I give out.

so I'm thinking of ways to get close to the mountains so I can enjoy their beauty, but not be tied to getting to a specific destination in order to have a place to sleep!

I'd like to know about cities/towns/hotels that we can reach by bus/taxi/guide where we can enjoy some of the spectacular beauty. then, if we want to take an easy walk, we can always come home later in the day.

does that make sense? does it seem doable?

I'm hoping to keep the costs low, paying for transportation from one place to another, paying about $10-20 for a hotel for 2, and eating at restaurants instead of booking a full package through an agency.

any ideas would be really appreciated. I'm having trouble getting tour operators to understand what I'm trying to do, and the full tours that they suggest seem expensive.

thank you all for the information, this forum has been invaluable!

Jimena

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nepal - how to see the Himalayas without trekking?!

Hi, you can easily see Himalaya from Dhulikhel or Nagarkot hills. two nice villages close to Kathmandu, not so far, you can go there by car. There're many hotels and good accomodations there. You can also see Annapurna range from Pokhara or from the hill of Sarangkot. Pokhara is 6 or 8 hours by car/bus from Kathmandu, or it's easier to go there by flight ;-) In the end you can take a mountain flight to see Everest http://www.buddhaair.com/everest/

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nepal - how to see the Himalayas without trekking?!

I believe that from Pokhara you can now be driven in a jeep to Dhampus, from where you'd get great views of Macchepuchare. Easier to access (by taxi from Pokhara) is Sarangkot, where again you can enjoy (weather permmitting) great views of the Annapurnas.

Edited: 23 July 2012, 19:37
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nepal - how to see the Himalayas without trekking?!

Two above posters had given your excellent information. I would also say driver to Sarangkot or Dhampus [near Pokhara], Nagarkot and Dhulikhel near Kathmandu or take a Mountain Flight.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nepal - how to see the Himalayas without trekking?!

Namaste

I would say you would not able to see any mountain without trekking at this time of year. But if you are lucky you would see the views from where other have suggested.

The best place is Bandipur that no one has said here. This is a perfect place to explore himalayas and it is great historical town itself.

have a fun Good luck.

5. Re: Nepal - how to see the Himalayas without trekking?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 12:01
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nepal - how to see the Himalayas without trekking?!

In the past two years the weather has changed a lot. Last year in the middle of august I saw Lantang Himal from my room in Bhaktapur. So strange.

I think that if you are lucky you can see the mountains. You have to consider that the best time to see them is from October to March. Anyway I saw a grat landscape also in April and May. Weather is becoming crazy also in Himalaya.

7. Re: Nepal - how to see the Himalayas without trekking?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:17