We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women hikers

Howell, Michigan
1 post
Save Topic
Women hikers

Hi!

My name is Niki an my friend and I are planning to hike the Annapurna Sanctuary Trek mid September (in a few weeks). I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether or not it is safe to hike without a guide? I had a friend go and he did it without a guide, he was able to get good maps in town and arranged it himself. That is something we are interested in but wanted to know if that is safe for women. We are well travelled and have spent months on the road alone. Any feedback would be helpful.

Cheers!

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,640 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Women hikers

Pointing out that Nepali people are usually nice, friendly and helpfull, I suggest you to go with an authorised guide. You don't know what could happened. You don't know nepali language, if one of you will have an accident you'll need to have a well experienced guide who can help you quicky. This is my point of view. I will never suggest anybody to go alone. If your group is less than 3 person, that is the minimum, in my opinion, to be safe, you need a guide ;-)

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Women hikers

I am agree with @rongpuk!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Women hikers

Yeas, plz.follow Rongpuk advice.

Guide

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Women hikers

I agree with Rongpuk, and bear in mind also that a good guide will add to the experience by giving you a far better understanding of the customs, culture, ecology of the country.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Women hikers

Hiring is professional and qualified trekking guide will enhance your trek a lot. Rongpuk has already raised this issue. A guide is quite helpful, needy and useful for trekking in Nepal. You will have great difference between trekking with a guide and trekking without a guide. Please find a good guide to have awesome trekking experience plus for safety issues.

Enjoy!

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Women hikers

Another vote for hire a guide!

Not because you are women hikers, but for all the above stated reasons. No one should go trekking without a guide.

Find a few good nepali based agencies and get a few qotes, compare and make a choice.

Going with a guide is also a way of getting easier in touch with locals. At least it is my experience with the guide we use.

Enjoy your trip :-)

kathmandu
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Women hikers

First thing, Its far better to take guide as all above persons said.

Next thing, Nepal government has already dicided not to allowed to hike individually.It will be implimented sooner or latter.

kathmandu
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Women hikers

Hello mikijames

Glad to hear that you are coming to Nepal. Yeah you can do Annapurna scantuary trek without guide . But as mentioned in all above post . I too like to support them its always good to have altealst one guide or porter. Who knows what could happen in the way. So its better to have a guide.

Have a safe trip.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Women hikers

Yes agree with all above. definitely take a guide. I went to everest base camp in November (female), and had an excellent guide that I am happy to recommend. He came highly qualified to me, and my trip was definitely enhanced travelling with him.

You must not go alone, alot can happen, you can get lost - it happens now.

10. Re: Women hikers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 10:15