We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using USD in Nepal

san
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Using USD in Nepal

I'm planning a trip to Nepal in Nov. Wondering if I can use USD everywhere or do I need to change some USD to rupees to take with me? I realize there are ATM's but I do like to have cash for incidentals. Thanks for any input!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using USD in Nepal

Hi

Yes, in Nepal change the USD to rupees at a bank or money changer. Many things are quoted in USD for ease of comparison but rupees are used.

Only a visa on arrival cannot be paid for in rupees.

scoodly

Edited: 28 September 2012, 21:59
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
402 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using USD in Nepal

Some places will require rupees -- buses, taxis, restaurants. You can probably pay your hotel bill in dollars, and other "big" expenses like that.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using USD in Nepal

You can't get Nepalese Rupees outside Nepal. You can exchange US$ at the airport on arrival (though if you are being collected from the airport you'll be better off changing them in your hotel, a bank, or one of the numerous Exchange Bureaux in Thamel where you'll get a better rate. If you are not being collected, but need a taxi, change $10 at the airport)

4. Re: Using USD in Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 06:17