We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun and a swim in land-locked Nepal?

Preston
Level Contributor
491 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sun and a swim in land-locked Nepal?

I can see how busy this forum is and realise this may be a ridiculous question but……….

I normally spend my holidays in Sri Lanka along the lines of: beach – tour – beach – tour - beach. I’m not a novice traveller, I can make my own way in Sri Lanka and India on buses and trains etc. and I don’t have silly expectations but I like sunshine and in between the expeditions I crave comfort.

Despite being a Buddhist I’ve never thought about a holiday in Nepal but I’ve been offered a return ticket to Kathmandu at the end of this month. I’m currently in need of some R&R, this would normally include a daily swim followed by a lounge in the sun.

My question is this: Is there anything for me in Nepal – or is it only for serious trekkers with all the gear?

I will research more but I need to decide by Sunday so I thought I’d ask.

Regards

Mark

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,835 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun and a swim in land-locked Nepal?

In Kathmandu or Pokhara there're some R&R solutions (like here for example: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293890-d412080… )

Nepal is first a country full of culture, traditions, some of his towns are something like an open air museums. The must is a tour of the beauty of the valley, not only mountains or trekking, safari in the tropical forest in Terai.

But I think you can find Relax and obviously Sun in this himalayan country

Edited: 05 October 2012, 15:28
Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun and a swim in land-locked Nepal?

There are numerous options !

In Kathmandu soak up the curious fusion of Buddhism and Hinduism, and visit Dhurbar Square, Swayambunath, Bodnath Stupa.

Fly off to Pokhara and find a hotel such as the Barahi that has a pool (or swim in the lake if your injections are up to date !). Take a taxi to Sarangkot to watch the sun rise over the Annapurnas, then after breakfast walk back (downhill !) to Pokhara. Go for a short (2 - 3 day) trek, for example up to Ghandruk and then to Landrung.

Raft for 1 or 2 days on the Trisuli river, or 3 days on the Kali Gandaki.

Go down to Chitwan for a couple of days of elephant riding, jungle walking, bird-watching and generally luxuriating

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Hotel Barahi
Hotel Barahi
509 Reviews
Pokhara, Nepal
Sarangkot
Sarangkot
1,805 Reviews
Pokhara, Nepal
Ghandruk
Ghandruk
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Gandaki Zone
Gandaki Zone
Western Region, Nepal
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan District, Nepal
Preston
Level Contributor
491 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun and a swim in land-locked Nepal?

Thanks for that - it gives me something to go on, I'll get googling

Mark

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
793 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun and a swim in land-locked Nepal?

mr mark, the hotel i stayed at in kathmandu, hotel shanker, which is on the edge of thamel (the main tourist area) has a pool and nice garden surrounding it. i had a few swims there after coming back from trekking and it was fantastic and well looked after

UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun and a swim in land-locked Nepal?

Hi, Nepal has syncretised Buddhism with Hinduism - most sites revere Sri Buddha and the two religions get along very well, sharing religious sites and almost merging in many cases.

For a peaceful sun & swim I can recommend Begnas Tal lake, about 30mins outside of Pokhara city - it is much less developed than Phewa Tal lakeside, and is very serene. You wouldn't want to be swimming past the end of October, as it gets pretty cold! I know a little place there which is a great spot but I can't post specifics on this forum.

Otherwise the upscale hotels in Pokhara have pools - many will let you use them & the grounds for the day if you pay a fee if you're not staying there. Pokhara is also warmer & has cleaner air than KTM.

Please PM me if you need specific recommendations

Mentioned in this post
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Tribhuvan Airport
Tribhuvan Airport
Kathmandu, Nepal
6. Re: Sun and a swim in land-locked Nepal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 22:19