We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minimum trip length for Everest base camp for acclimatizatio

73m
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Minimum trip length for Everest base camp for acclimatizatio

Hi I'm very concerned re altitude sickness doing the Everest base camp trek as I already had mild symptoms in cusco, South America which is only 3000m+.

I'm looking at a tour which is 17 days from Kathmandu but really takes 9 days to get from there to ebc (via the usual flight to Lukla etc). The trip seems to have 2 "rest" days as part of this 9. The rest of the trip is obviously descent.

Is this going slow enough or as a novice who has never trekked at altitude should I be adding even more time?

Thanks for your help.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minimum trip length for Everest base camp for acclimatizatio

Only 11 days...I think it's better do it in 14 days and have one day rest more, so you'll have time to acclimatise.

I suggest you to read here about mountain sickness:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c176094/Nepal…

And here for the itinerary:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c152405/Nepal…

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minimum trip length for Everest base camp for acclimatizatio

Two 'rest'/acclimatisation days is the norm, generally one at Namche, one at Dingboche, and seems to work for most people.

If you are thinking of joining a fixed-date group then you won't have any flexibility.

Given your previous experience you might consider approaching a Nepalese company to arrange a 'tailor-made' trip for you that would give you your own guide and porter, and allow you to include an extra day or two, and flexibility to shorten days if necessary whilst on trek (though there doesn't seem to be any great correlation between previous acclimatisation history and the likelhood of problems next time. Some people who have acclimatised well in the past may not do so in the future, and vice-versa).

Edited: 29 October 2012, 18:00
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minimum trip length for Everest base camp for acclimatizatio

To clarify (as Rongpuk seems to have misunderstood your "11 days"), 14 days from Kathmandu and back there is the norm for most group treks. Personally I prefer to add an extra day, to be taken as / when needed.

Have a look at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c152405/Nepal…

for an itinerary and comments

Edited: 30 October 2012, 01:31
Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minimum trip length for Everest base camp for acclimatizatio

Since you've had an earlier bad experience there is not really any room for a tight itinerary. You can also look in to :

* pre-acclimatizing at home ( depending on whre you live : good options in the western US for example ) or in Nepal . Both involve minimising yor time in Ktm before the trek.

* medicating with Dianox - not suggesting this in any way replaces normal acclimatization.

73m
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minimum trip length for Everest base camp for acclimatizatio

Thank you all for sensible advice. I think that was my gut feeling on the matter too.

6. Re: Minimum trip length for Everest base camp for acclimatizatio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 10:05
7. Re: Minimum trip length for Everest base camp for acclimatizatio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2013, 10:17