We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are US$ accepted?

Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Are US$ accepted?

I know that foreign currencies are easily exchanged for Nepal Rupees, but are small denomination US $ accepted at all? e.g. would a taxi driver accept $US (maybe bargain for a $5 US taxi ride?) or a hotel porter as a tip?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are US$ accepted?

answer is no -

you can exchnage $$ in many exchange places and big hotels will also galdy accept it - but on the street you will need Nepali currency - don't make it any harder than it needs to be - if you have US$ then exchange it at money exhange places - unlike other countires - dollar is a liability in nepal for an average person on the street - for he needs to go and exchange it somehow

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are US$ accepted?

The exchange rate offered at the airport tends to be poor so in the past when landing in Kathmandu without any NPR I have negotiated a taxi into Thamel for $5 and paid with a $5 bill – But once in Thamel I exchange my money into NPR as soon as possible.

Things like hotels and internal flights are priced in US $’s but usually paid for in NPR – The pricing in US $’s is for the convenience of the visitor so they realise how much something is ;-)

Tipping – If you give someone a $1 bill as a tip they then plague the next 50 visitors trying to exchange it for NPR – So in my own view, not the greatest idea !!!

Good Luck

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Thamel
Thamel
4,660 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
3. Re: Are US$ accepted?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 07:16