We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on itinerary

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on itinerary

Hi All

I'm about to book the following 26 day trek with 3 sisters for March/April and would appreciate any feedback/suggestions/recommendations. They have quoted $25 guide cost and $15 porter cost daily. They have also requested 20% deposit. Thanks in advance!

Pokhara - Bulbhule - Ghermu - Tal - Danagyu - Chame - Pisang - Braga - Manang - Yak Kharka - Thorung Phedi - Muktnath - Kagbeni - Mapha - Ghasa - Tatopani - Ghorepani - Poon Hill / Tadapani - Chomrong - Dovan - Deurail - Annapurna Base Camp - Bamboo - Jhinudanda - Ghandruk - Tolka - Phedi/Pokhara.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 15:51
Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on itinerary

Before proceeding with your booking you might like to read this report about The Chhetri Sisters

holeinthedonut.com/2012/…

Good Luck

Rob

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on itinerary

Be sure to read the comments of that biased article too. This woman wrote a report after having spent a few days at the establishment.

The foreigners who actually spend time there volunteering have a much different opinion.

I have done 2 treks with 3 Sisters and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Also.. even if the 3 sisters are keeping a good profit, they have still changed and continue to change the lives of many women in Nepal!

They have so much positive feedback, don't let this one woman deter you.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,732 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on itinerary

Here you will find other experiences with the three sisters:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293889-i9243-k463…

Namaste and happy travel

Rongpuk

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on itinerary

The prices quoted for guide and porter seems ok.

I am wondering if you are planning to manage accomodation and food on your own or the guide will manage for you?

I would not pay a deposit before meeting personally. Others don't mind.

Rob are right in pointing out, that lots of Ngo's in Nepal are Money mashines. Whether 3 sisters are one of those or not, is - however - not relevant in relation to acknowledge their skills as trekking guide Agency.

Let's focus on what the OP is asking and not on which truth is the most real about 3 sisters NGO project.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on itinerary

Thank you all for the comments so far, I will be sure to make an informed decision.

How does the itinerary look?

Lisbeth, I presume the porter will go ahead and reserve our accommodation (is this what most places do?). The price quoted does not include my accom/food costs. Cheers

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on itinerary

It depends...!

When you buy a package (guide, porter, accomodation, food, transportation etc) it is clear, that the responsibility for the accomodation and food is the agencies and the guide/porter will take care of it.

In this case, where you book only guide and porter, it is more unclear. So I would ask them before leaving 'civilization'. If they don't take the responsibility by them self, all it takes of you is to send the porter forward every day not later than after lunch break to book rooms.

When you have bought a package, the guide will make sure that the kitchen have focus on your food/serving....ask the guide to do take care of this (especially in busy guesthouses).

The guide would take care of paying in the guesthouses on package treks, but this will be your job. Make sure you don't pay too much.

I Wonder if you don't need any acclimatization days?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on itinerary

Hi lisbeth, I just re-read your latest post. Is my itinerary lacking acclimatization days? I read that a day in manang is beneficial. Thank you

Edited: 08 March 2013, 13:50
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on itinerary

# Rob - thanks for the link! It was nice reading and I am continuing to the full story!

9. Re: Advice on itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 07:16