We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost my passport whilst in Pokhara, what should I do?

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lost my passport whilst in Pokhara, what should I do?

Hey all,

I have been in pokhara a little over 4 days, I first came into Katmandu and spent 2 days here, on my first day in Pokhara I rented a motorbike out and went around some places, during this time I lost my british passport must have flown out my pocket,

My flight back is due on the 26th,

I have been told to ring the British Embasy in Katmandu but whenever I do I get a strange aswering machine message,

Anyone ever been in this situation? just wondering what the process is, any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost my passport whilst in Pokhara, what should I do?

Never tried this in Nepal, but once in France.

Basicly what you need to do is:

Go to the police and report your passport stolen/lost. You will need the report from the police for further documentation regarding your travel insurrance (they do often pay for the expenses of getting new passport).

Go to your embassy and get a provisoric passport/emergency travel document

Get a new passport, when you get back home.

Here is information about the British Council:

fco.gov.uk/en/…embassy-kathmandu

It is located in Lainchaur/Lazimpat; nearby the CIWEC Clinic and opposite the Indian Embassy.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,639 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost my passport whilst in Pokhara, what should I do?

To get a replacement passport you will need to visit the British embassy in KTM. I suggest going in good time so you don't miss the flight out of Nepal.

…fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/

scoodly

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost my passport whilst in Pokhara, what should I do?

Oh...and sometimes the Police wont file a report about lost passports.

In that case you just ask them to state on paper, that they will not file a report. Then you should be good.

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost my passport whilst in Pokhara, what should I do?

Thanks for the info all, how long do you think it will take in Katmandu to process this? I currently have a hotel for a week but may have to leave it early, I was told to give it atleast two full days in Katmandu to sort this out, should I even give it longer? thanks again all your great,

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost my passport whilst in Pokhara, what should I do?

When I lost my passport in France everything was solved in a day, but I don't know how British Embassy Work.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost my passport whilst in Pokhara, what should I do?

And make sure, you get your visa transfered too. Read here:

www.immi.gov.np/general/important-information

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost my passport whilst in Pokhara, what should I do?

Lots of excellent info already posted – If it were me then I would head for Kathmandu ASAP – My own experiences with The British Embassy in Kathmandu were less than ideal, they only seam to open for a few hours every day, in the morning, then an Extended lunch break before re-opening for a short time in the afternoon – I can’t remember the exact times but if you head there for around 10am it should be OK

I hope they treat you more courteously that when I went there

Good Luck

Rob

8. Re: Lost my passport whilst in Pokhara, what should I do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 February 2013, 02:35
Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,882 posts
1,186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost my passport whilst in Pokhara, what should I do?

u definetely have to go to ktm brtish embassy by person after reporting all the event to the police in pokhara

godd luck bro

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lost my passport whilst in Pokhara, what should I do?

Hey guys, panic over... someone handed it in! only in nepal! thanks alot all!