We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daypack size for base camp trek

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Daypack size for base camp trek

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to base camp Everest in October. I have a fairly comprehensive kit list from the operator I'm using, who recommend a daypack of at least 35litres. I've been trying to decide between the 33 and 44litre Osprey Talon series. I used a 22litre rucksack for the Inca trail, which was only just big enough. I just didn't want to buy one that was too huge and I therefore wouldn't get the use of again as much. Does anyone have much experience and may be able to suggest which one may be better. The larger one is a bit heavier of course.

Thank you

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daypack size for base camp trek

Both sound a bit too large to me, but it will depend on what weight limit your company has set for your porter.

When I trekked to EBC last March my porter carried about 7 ½ kg and I managed easily with everything else in a 25Ldaypack.- And my own kit list was comprehensive

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daypack size for base camp trek

Your day pack will probably contain at most a waterproof coat, possibly the sweater that you wore at breakfast then discarded as the sun hit you, a small first aid kit, water bottle, hat, scarf, toilet roll, hand-sanitiser, wet wipes. Fits into my 20 litre sack !

kathmandu
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Daypack size for base camp trek

Hello laura

Normally 25L day pack will be fine for doing EBC if you don't have much kit . But it depends on weight your company has put for porter to carry.

Have a safe trip!!!!

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,688 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daypack size for base camp trek

I usually bring with me a 20lt day pack, but half full :-) you don't need to carry more than this.

Namaste

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
153 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daypack size for base camp trek

I used an osprey 33 litre and it was just fine

Shoreham-by-Sea
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daypack size for base camp trek

Hi Rick Also thinking of using this pack. Were you able to carry everything in this or did you use a porter as well ? Hoping to do under own steam (porter less ;-)

Thanks Plumbgray

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
153 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daypack size for base camp trek

I used a porter as well, as I went on with my trek , I jettisoned a lot of stuff out of the pack, except essentials. The only thing I did not like was the position of the water bottle holders, I ended up clipping the bottles on,and wishing I had the camelback. The pack was very sturdy, comfortable, no regrets except that one feature.

malaysia
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daypack size for base camp trek

Hello everyone... 20 litre? why using 'litre' to measure it? how to justify?

the rucksack is measure in 'litre' and not in 'kg'?

Sorry for the question, because i am planning for Nepal trekking, so will have query 'pop out' from my mind everytime reading this forum.

Thank.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
985 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daypack size for base camp trek

Litres are used to measure the volume of packs, as the weight can vary dramatically. For example a down sleeping bag would weigh a lot less than books or water taking up the same volume.

malaysia
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daypack size for base camp trek

Thanks for the valuable info.