We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying goretex or similar in Kathmandu

73m
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Buying goretex or similar in Kathmandu

Hi just wondering if proper goretex or similar waterproof rainwear can be purchased more cheaply in Kathmandu. I know there is a lot of fake stuff there but if I go to a known place like shona's, could I safely assume I'm getting a decent quality rainjacket?

Or should I buy here (Australia) just to be sure? They're just so expensive!

I don't think I'll be able to tell the good quality from bad which is why is rather just go somewhere known/reputable.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying goretex or similar in Kathmandu

Or settle for the fact that a Nepalese cheap version will be adequate unless you are trekking in the monsoon

73m
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying goretex or similar in Kathmandu

ok great, or else i could just bring my nylon rainjacket but thought I'd need something breathable.

thanks!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,588 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying goretex or similar in Kathmandu

Hi

As you say, there is a lot of fake stuff in KTM; Gore-tex labels abound and most will not be the real thing. The fakes might do the job from a waterproof (and windproof) perspective but breathability is likely to be limited.

Shona's will be straight and let you know if the jacket is the real deal or not - they have a mix of genuine gear, stuff made in their own factory (mainly down kit) and cheaper fake items.

There are official outlets of some brands in KTM; TNF, Mountain Hardwear and Salewa have stores on Tridevi Marg (leading into Thamel). The prices are similar to the UK High St but I do not know how this compares to Australia.

Whether a less than breathable jacket will suffice or be uncomfortably sweaty might depend on the particular trek and when you are going. Whether it's worth investing in the genuine article might depend on how much you will use it in the future...

scoodly

73m
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying goretex or similar in Kathmandu

That's useful info. I'm doing ebc/gokyo next month so thought there'd be some rain in the afternoons. However I'm not hiking in rain much over here so...

Will think about it. Thank you for your help.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying goretex or similar in Kathmandu

I paid real good money in Brisbane for my jacket, and the thing still leaks in points when walking for a long time in real wet conditions. so who knows? Breathability is a good point, and as I mentioned elsewhere the fake stuff may (or maynot for the shorterm) have issues with the material used, stiching and seams, and quality of down level as relevant. Finding out up high can't be the best. And treating it well can't hurt preserving its quality so tying it around your waist, sitting on it, standing on it, herding yaks with it may not help. Enjoy!

Edited: 03 April 2013, 12:25
6. Re: Buying goretex or similar in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 April 2013, 21:05
73m
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying goretex or similar in Kathmandu

Thanks, I'll try not to herd any yaks :) in the end I decided to bring a rain jacket from home rather than risk the unknown quality over there.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying goretex or similar in Kathmandu

Looks like it is permissible to recommend Shona’s – But recommendations of alternative outlets that are at least as good isn’t permissible

Oh Hum – Automatic moderation strikes again

Rob

73m
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying goretex or similar in Kathmandu

thanks, I was planning to get most of my gear at Shona's. But I think I know which store you're thinking of and will look out for that one too!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,588 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying goretex or similar in Kathmandu

Looks like the cabal struck again...

However, the OP did ask about Shona's so it seems legitimate to answer the question...no?

scoodly