We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering in Nepal

Boston, MA
2 posts
Save Topic
Volunteering in Nepal

Last April I spent three weeks trekking in Nepal and since have been very eager to return--this time, however, as a volunteer. I've been looking up volunteer programs online but was curious if anyone could point me towards one organization in particular (with a significant impact for the $$ they charge) or highlight a great program not well-represented on the web? Would be most interested in working with children in a rural setting, although Volunteer Nepal's oral history project was intriguing as it is related to what I do professionally. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Nepal
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteering in Nepal

Hi,

Thanks for your interested to work in Nepal as a volunteers, your little help will help to make future bright of Nepali poor children in village.Yes, Volunteering program also like as a business in Nepal. People registered the name of an organization in District Administrative office and Associated in social wel fare council and make good web site then start to charge high cost to new people who want to do volunteer. It is true thing and it gave very bad message in the worlds.

But here is one small organization who manage volunteer/s in different district in Nepal. The main work is running orphanage Home in Kathmandu and contact people and send them in village for volunteering. The cost of volunteering in village is very cheap.Some time they dont charge.

The website, contact details and ... ... are not allowed to put in this forum according to the rules of this forum, please try to read PM, if you want.

Have a wonderful time for volunteering in Nepal.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteering in Nepal

There are several organization offering volunteering for no additional cost. Volunteering means doing work for free of cost. There should be some facilities for accommodation and food for the volunteers. But these days some travel agents are making money on the name of volunteering trip. Most of the organization are not paid for that except the amount the volunteer directly donate.

Volunteering is a social welfare activities and hope people offering and doing volunteer job will not make it trade.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteering in Nepal

Hallo, you're welcome here in TA. I suggest you to read here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293890-i9244-k618…

and here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293890-i9244-k620…

Namaste

Boston, MA
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteering in Nepal

Hello Rongpuk, and thank you for these links! The comments feed on the posts you sent me to were enlightening, confirming the fears I already had about organized volunteer opportunities in Nepal. I'm glad that I chose to ask my question on the TA forum before moving forward with any of them.

If anyone else can PM me with suggestions for legitimate volunteer opportunities I'd still welcome them, greatly! Baal S, thank you for your suggestion--I'll look into it!

Edited: 14 March 2013, 13:21
Sauraha, Nepal
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteering in Nepal

Hi,

I have been volunteering for the last 10 days in a small children's home in Sauraha, Chitwan.

It is called the Children and Women Promotion Center, and is located 5-10min walk distance from the village center.

There are currently 6 children (5-11 years old) which are well taken care of (they all go to school, seem quite healthy and have sufficient food). They are extremely happy to have visitors, and their english is good enough to have a proper discussion with them.

The owner, Ruplal Sunar, is very helpful in organizing touristic activities if you wish to (jungle trek, elephant ride, etc.), or simply help organize your trip (bus booking, etc.).

Compared to other organizations, this one is truly local, and charge for accommodation and food is only $45 per week. You can obviously contribute on top, though I preferred buying stationary, hygienic products, clothes, etc. directly for the children rather than contributing cash.

For more information, please visit their website:

http://www.childrenwpc.blogspot.com/

or go to their facebook page to see more pictures:

https:/…227900294034799

Should you have any question, please don't hesitate to contact me (benevole.nepal.2013@gmail.com).

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteering in Nepal

Above post seems to be self promotion from a poster who just joined TA today and who also placed the Same “Advert” on VT

…virtualtourist.com/Nepal-1772-2-3608937/…

Oh Hum

Rob

4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Volunteering in Nepal

Hi

I am not sure what kind of volunteering r u willing to do? If it is a general volunteering like teaching you can pm I can give u someone's email he runs a NGO but he give u placement free of cost n provides u good service. He doesn't charge any amt for such genuine work

.The placement place was not very far but only 12 km from the city center and its worth contributing your time becoz its not that far u can spend yours weekend around the city center or local attraction and stay in home stay in a beautiful rural village near by ktm. Basically easily to commute .

8. Re: Volunteering in Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 13:28
9. Re: Volunteering in Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 05:17