We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport to downtown/Thamel

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Topic
airport to downtown/Thamel

Is tuk tuk the only way, how long will it take and how much should it cost me ?

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport to downtown/Thamel

Taxi is the most common way. You'll have to treat the price. It'll cost from 400 NRP

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,973 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport to downtown/Thamel

There's far more cabs than tuktuks waiting outside ;-) Actually tuktuks are not allowed in the official parking lot at Arrivals, you have to walk a bit further to catch one.

I'd say 30 mins ride with both. Can't give current prices and neither know for sure about bus connections.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport to downtown/Thamel

Pre-paid taxis to Thamel last spring were 550 rupees so could have increased by now. The first price offered by the drivers was 500, this could be negotiated down. Cheapest taxis outsied the airport; it was 250 negotiated by a local.

I was chasing lost luggage so made a few trips.

scoodly

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: airport to downtown/Thamel

Are tuk tuks cheaper than taxis and or are they so cramped thats its not even worth it, (I'm quite a large guy, so comfort and space are a rea important issue for me)

Edited: 25 March 2013, 14:28
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,973 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airport to downtown/Thamel

Yes they should be about half of the taxi price.

As for sitting space they easily hold 3 normal or 2 larger people ;-) The main challenge with them is luggage space. If they have that (the space might be filled up with other things in some, e.g. large ghettoblaster speakers or cargo they transport as secondary business...) it would be big enough for a large backpack but not for e.g. a large hardshell suitcase.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: airport to downtown/Thamel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 March 2013, 21:05
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airport to downtown/Thamel

#6 good info (no tuk tuks in KTM - in Nepal they call them Tyampoos btw - origin Vespa Tempos)

if you are a large guy it will be a quite the ride for you then

just google Kathmandu Taxi and see the pictures of what i am talking about

in old days believe me or not only Japanese made Toyota Sedans and Hatchbacks were allowed as Taxis in KTM

but thanks to corrupt goverment and lobbying from certain entities

they have these wrothless tinker-toy-tin-boxes in the name of taxis

you are better off asking your hotel for a trasportation

chances are they might send something that otherwise is not an uttter embarassment

and i am sure paying a buck or two extra wont make you go broke

Visakhapatnam, India
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: airport to downtown/Thamel

how to reach thamel when arriving kathmandu bus stand.i am visiting july 15th in 2013 for 4 days. i.e.15,16,17,18th of july 2013. can i get bus from sonauli boarder to kathmandu? kindly advise about the accommodation in budget hotel from INR 400 TO INR 700/-.

HOW MANY TEMPLES ARE THERE TO SEE IN KATHMANDU.KINDLY ADVISE PLEASE.

VISAKHAPATNAM,ANDHRA PRADESH

CELL NO.9885319949

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airport to downtown/Thamel

Ask a question on a seperate new thread - and it's not wise to give out your cell number in public forum like these.

10. Re: airport to downtown/Thamel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 05:17