We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe, difficult to do a trek in Nepal

Paris, France
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe, difficult to do a trek in Nepal

Hey Guys, i'm supposed to go to Nepal at the end of August to make a trek of 7 days with some friends but i don't have any training and i'm not specially good a sports . What do you think ? Will it be too difficult for me or there are easy walks ? And do you think the weather will be nice ?

And my best friend who used to live in India told me that it was quite dangerous ... What do you think?

Thank you so much

Mentioned in this post
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe, difficult to do a trek in Nepal

With your words mentioned '7 Days Trek' I am thinking about some easier treks. I think 7 days trek will be generally quite easy. Most of the shorter treks are easier as per my knowledge. I am not sure what trek you are doing otherwise it would be easier to tell you the fact. But generally, a motivated person with ability to walk about 5/6 hours / a day can trek in Nepal. I have seen some old grand ma trekking in Nepal. If they can trek why you cant? Trekking like Ghorepani, Gosainkunda, Jomsom Muktinath Trek etc [around 7 days days both] are some of the easier treks and I believe of course you can do.

August is in the monsoon season so can't say you will have good weather. But I would say it's not good time to trek in Nepal...don't say I am mean. But trekking is more like fun, sometimes you enjoy more even in bad weathers. Its about you and friends.

I do not think trekking in Nepal is dangerous. But you seem to be traveling in groups [assuming girls only] try to hire an experienced trekking guide for safety and security. A good guide will make your trip far memorable where a bad guide will surely ruin!

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Gosainkunda
Gosainkunda
51 Reviews
Langtang National Park, Nepal
Jomsom
Jomsom
Dhaulagiri Zone, Nepal
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe, difficult to do a trek in Nepal

Dangerous ? NO. Look at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c134555/Nepal…

A female friend, visiting Nepal (for the first time) with me last month commented after a couple of days in Kathmandu 'There's a lot of goodwill around', and generally I've found that once you get out of Kathmandu and into the hills it gets even better.

Weather: Late August is likely to be warm, but wet. It's still the monsoon season. The 'rain shadow' areas, the upper end of the Kali Gandaki valley around Jomson, for example, are drier. See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-s208/Nepal:We…

Difficult ? It depends partly on where you go ! Most treks involve a fair amount of up (and down). Hopefully you can customise your trek itinerary to mean that days are not over-long, and you can walk at a comfortable pace. As an ageing smoker I still find the uphills painful, but choosing an itinerary that means that predominantly uphill days are fairly short means that I can cope quite happily (though on one occasion I was almost overtaken by a 77 year old Australian lady !)

Edited: 15 May 2013, 12:03
Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Gandaki Zone
Gandaki Zone
Western Region, Nepal
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe, difficult to do a trek in Nepal

Precisely what did "your friend who used to live in Nepal" say was dangerous about (1) Nepal (2) trekking?

Where is this proposed trek in August?

Degree of difficulty is a subjective thing, but I can't imagine how anyone would be able to give you a meaningful response without having any idea of (1) where you are going (2) your level of fitness. A total couch potato may have difficulty walking for an hour in a flat track, someone of reasonable fitness who walks a bit would probably be able to do the Poon Hill trek easily.

Reputable tour companies rate treks introductory/, easy/moderate/difficult. What does your Itinerary say about your proposed trek?

Edited: 15 May 2013, 12:15
Mentioned in this post
Poon Hill
Poon Hill
1,244 Reviews
Pokhara, Nepal
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe, difficult to do a trek in Nepal

Sorry, misread your post.

What exactly is your friend who lives in India's experience that leads him/her to tell you Nepal/trekking ( or combination ) is dangerous?

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,393 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe, difficult to do a trek in Nepal

Agree with the above posters in that it’s just about impossible to say whether an unspecified trek is difficult or not as degrees of difficulty are subjective.

One trek that is rated as “Easy” is Helambu, but personally I found this to be a harder trek than others that were rated “More Strenuous” because of all the ups and downs.

The season also affects degrees of difficulty; you are trekking in the monsoon, so paths often get washed out by landslides, can be very slippery and this also effects the degree of difficulty

As to dangerous – Are you referring to Trekking or Nepal in general, If the latter than I don’t believe that Nepal is dangerous, just take the normal precautions that you would when travelling in any 3rd world country.

Trekking isn’t a dangerous sport, but it is a sport that does have dangers, especially for the inexperienced and ill prepared. But if you make sure that you are as prepared as possible, as long as you are happy walking for several hours each day, then you don’t have to be super fit to enjoy a trek in Nepal.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Is it safe, difficult to do a trek in Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2013, 21:02
7. Re: Is it safe, difficult to do a trek in Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 06:18