We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Everest region trek, happy to answer q's

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from Everest region trek, happy to answer q's

Just got back from 18 days in the khumbu area. If you have any questions surrounding anything, I would be happy to divulge any information that may assist in planning and preparation. Wow, what an incredible adventure!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Everest region trek, happy to answer q's

Hi Tristan,

Where did you go? I had 2 weeks wandering around last month - Lukla, Namche, Thamo, Thame, Khumjung & back down. What a wonderful area!

Mentioned in this post
Lukla
Lukla
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Everest region trek, happy to answer q's

Most beautiful place on earth, tears of joy...! Flew into Lukla, Phakding, Namche, Dole, Maccherma, Gokyo/Gokyo Ri, Phortse, Pangboche, Tengboche, then return. Just thought I would offer help if anyone wanted, I learnt much on TA from many helpful people before our trip, I'm no sudden expert, but you learn more of the little things that are good to know once you are there....

Mentioned in this post
Lukla
Lukla
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
431 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Everest region trek, happy to answer q's

I'm planning an EBC+Gokyo trek with a group of friends this Dec/Jan. Did you hire a guide, a porter, or both? If so, how did that go?

Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Everest region trek, happy to answer q's

Doing that same route in November. Which of the gear(s) you brought that you thought it wasn't necessary?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Everest region trek, happy to answer q's

We went on our own, and didn't regret it. The sense of achievement was fabulous, but it was hard work carrying our bags. I know the Nepali people depend on the tourist $ and want the work, but we needed to minimise our expenses as we still have 2 months of travelling remaining. Some pros and cons of choosing to go without guide or porter...

PRO's: Saved significant expenses of $10-$15/day for porter, $20+ for a guide.

Went at our pace, stayed longer if we wanted, changed our plans whenever.

Didn't have some too-cool-for-school guide in fake ray bans who actually knows very little about the region hanging around everywhere we went (met a few people who had this kind of guide, they hated it) NB: choose your agency carefully

Still had the ability to pick up a porter for a select leg of the journey if we needed (I had been sick and lacked the energy to carry my bag one day, grabbed a porter for the day, life saver)

CON's: Missed out on having a local representative who can speak Nepali (people at Lukla airport with guides had a person who could speak for them with locals and help make arrangements - priceless, Lukla can be stressful when backlogs occur)

Missed out on making a great friend who cares for your well being and points out things surrounding anything from culture, flora and fauna, environment and history, and even makes you do things that are incredibly rewarding, that you otherwise would not do.

You must be more selective about what you bring as you are carrying it all.

With all that said, we had an amazing and unforgettable experience, made many friends, met and had many conversations with the guides of other people and even joined in on excursions with others. If you want a complete experience and can afford it, I think having a guide would enrich the experience, but you can definitely go it alone and still be blown away, if you have the passion to get up early and work hard to get to places to soak up the views.

As far as gear to leave behind, probably clothes is the easiest to cut. I left out the extra pairs of many items to save weight and didnt miss it. One of most things is fine except underwear and base layers. You get dirty and dont shower for many days, get over it, wet wipes rule! I left the ipad behind and just made notes in my phone, as well as using it as a pocket camera. I often wished I had the ipad, but it was too heavy to carry. Jeromego I think we connected on camera gear a little while back. I left my 70-200 at home and there were times when I wanted it, but my 24-70 sufficed and I have some incredible images. Took a wide angle lens as well, used it a bit but not as much as I would have thought. Tripod a must, if you have a photographic interest.

Hope this helps!!

Mentioned in this post
Lukla
Lukla
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from Everest region trek, happy to answer q's

Thanks for the tips. Would love to see your pics.

Edited: 01 June 2013, 01:29
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from Everest region trek, happy to answer q's

No probs, I was getting rushed out of a breakfast place in Thamel so I didn't finish that post very well. As far as other gear goes, I found the hiking poles very useful when carrying your own bags, saves a lot of pressure on the knees. Spare batteries for the camera also saved from having to pay to recharge, though there is the weight penalty, I took 3 for my dslr and was on my 3rd battery on the last couple of days. I found the thermometer on my compass was interesting to keep an eye on temperatures, and iodine pills invaluable. We bought all kinds of drugs for altitude, upset stomach, bum soup, and illness, but mostly only found that most doesn't help you. Take rest days to acclimatize, and if/when you get sick, you just have to ride it out (it was the toughest part of the trip for me, 2 days, bloody cold, squat toilet, gross. Mess for stomach and diarrhea that I had did nothing!!)

We wore our buffs constantly while hiking, neither of us got sore throats or the Khumbu cough, keeps dust, dry air and yak dung particles out!

A few pictures and brief story just went up on our blog, all images are from my girlfriends Nikon point and shoot.

http://dynamiteadventures.blogspot.com/

If I have not touched on anything else that may be important, please feel free to ask!

Mentioned in this post
Thamel
Thamel
4,651 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Khumbu
Khumbu
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from Everest region trek, happy to answer q's

Thanks Tristan.

I'm going to that region in November only for a five full days hiking. We will have acclimitisation so we should be able to get around ok. I was thinking about getting to Namche and just seeing how we go, maybe go to Thame and the alternative route back to the Lukla track.

However, my map shows a trail going from Luza (near Macherma) down to Phurte (near Namche) but over and the moutains there.

Other maps don't show the route that well, and it's quite a steep climb up from Luza and then back down to Phurte. Did you come across this trail, or know whether it exists and can be used? I imagine it would have great views from above Luza before coming back down through the mountains to Phurte.

I'm thinking we can get to Luza in three days and then back to Lukla in two from there going through the mountain trail.

Regards

Hisham

Mentioned in this post
Lukla
Lukla
Sagarmatha Zone, Nepal
9. Re: Just returned from Everest region trek, happy to answer q's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2013, 16:35
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from Everest region trek, happy to answer q's

A word of caution - Luza is at 4400 metres - that's an awful lot of altitude gain to contemplate in three days, and risks unpleasant effects (depending on what acclimatisation you are referring to in your first paragraph).