We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK company for Everst base camp trek

London
14 posts
Save Topic
UK company for Everst base camp trek

Hello

I tried to ask this on my other thread but it is closed tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293889-i9243-k6… I think because a destination expert breached my privacy publishing Emails form the guide he recommended against my wishes.

This put me off going to Nepal but now a UK company might work for me so anybody have a suggestion? one a female trekker has used? Do not know where to strt looking really.

Kathmandu,Nepal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK company for Everst base camp trek

Probably some one will post who had used UK based company service. Personally, I suggest you much better to use direct trekking agency in Nepal. Because UK company sell to Nepal trekking agency, it is clear that you have to pay more money if you book your trip in UK. Most trekking company are genuine in Nepal and responsible as well.

Guide

2. Re: UK company for Everst base camp trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 16:09
Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK company for Everst base camp trek

Hi Lisa D

I did read your other thread.....I am out of Words :-/

I have no experience with booking UK based (or Danish based for that matter) agencies for trekking in Nepal.

The angle to the Agency we use in Nepal is - to make a long story short - that we use one, in which we have known the owner since he was approx. 17 years old and worked as a porter. We have followed him on his way up and is - ofcourse - using his Agency, when beeing in Nepal.

Anyway; it doesn't answer your question.

There must be lots of UK agencies making treks in Nepal. At least, when I Google, I find a lot.

What you need to be aware of is that eventhough you book through an UK based Agency, you will end up going with a nepali based Agency anyway. Due to the Laws in Nepal, the abroad agencies have to subcontract with nepali based agencies.

I don't know how the Price level is in UK, but if I were to book a (Group) trek in Denmark - through a Danish based Agency - the Price is almost the double of what would have to pay in Nepal for the same trek, eventhough it would be a solo trek (just me and my guide and porter). And I do find that there are too many benefits of going solo compared to going on a Group trek.

So basicly you end up paying double for the same experience!

But start googling (to get only UK based agencies you can search for: trekking Nepal site:UK)

Find a few ones you like and see if you can find some reviews for them somewhere...the Internet is a great source for information ;-)

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK company for Everst base camp trek

we suggest to Book with Local Agency. because it will be cheap and easy to operate. Local Agency are always care for personal Guest . my assumption Local Peoples should get Benefit from Tourism so we can save Micro Eco balance system.

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: UK company for Everst base camp trek

I posted up some general thoughts on the various ways to go trekking on your original topic (which as you say is now closed).

Re UK based companies - I have never used any company for trekking, but I have seen quite a lot of groups, usually large, from a few of the bigger "western" companies: Exodus, Explore, Peregrine(?) - I am not sure if they are all UK based, but they should all be worth looking at, especially if you want an all inclusive package, and recourse, should it be required.

Though you have had a bad expereince (I did not see the varoius deleted posts before they were deleted), I also think you would be fine using a Nepal based company, but I understand that you have probably been put off by your recent experience. BTW I did also put up a post explaining why I thought for private guides there should be NO need for any advance payments - though a bit long (as many of my posts tend to be) that was also deleted.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK company for Everst base camp trek

Hi Lisa

Just because you had a bad experience with trying to deal with one recommended guide (or was it an agent?) doesn’t mean that all recommendations are as unreliable / untrustworthy.

I had a look at the guide that was mentioned (On one of the replies that was removed) Facebook Page and he doesn’t seam to be doing much trekking these days – I would assume that he would post all his treks on there to aid his networking – I Do keep “Advising” people to Google All recommendations as both good and / or bad feedback about agents and guides is usually posted somewhere on the internet – Sometimes it takes a bit of finding, but better to spend a few evenings searching the net in the comfort of your own home rather than have a trek ruined !!

So – Basically my own thoughts concur with some that have already been posted, don’t pay a UK agent as he will only sub-contract to a local company, The best you could expect is a western “Tour Leader” but the trek will be operated by a local company – and a Local Nepali Company will always know Nepal better than a foreigner will !!

Just Take Good Care when selecting your operator and I am Sure you will be Fine and I will then look forwards to a trek report and reading about what a wonderful time you had trekking in Nepal

Good Luck and Best Regards

Rob

Edited: 08 July 2013, 21:52
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK company for Everst base camp trek

Hi Lisa

I remain utterly astonished about the content of your previous thread and your response is understandable but not all guides do such things.

Not a woman and have not used them but Community Action Treks has a good reputation, it is a not-for-profit company which funds a range of projects in Nepal: catreks.com.

As said above, you will pay more and if you would like a breakdown of the typical costs of booking with a Nepali company (not a'guide' or intermediary) I'm happy give that info...

scoodly

London
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: UK company for Everst base camp trek

Hi everybody

@trekkingw - yes I know you because you sent me a prvate message looking for business after I wrote my first post. I have since been contacted without requesting it by the person mentioned above. No thanks. Just leave me alone!

@Lisbeth Rob and Scoodly thanks I know it will cost a load more but Im thinking it will be less trouble and my they wont post my private information and there will be other people to tek with. I'll feel safer this way.

Lisa

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK company for Everst base camp trek

Hi Lisa, I'm sorry but I didn't know any British Based Company. I'm Italian :-P I'm a woman lonely traveller and trekker. I usually go in Nepal once or twice a year and as I told you in the closed topic I've never had problems using always the same guide and the same trekking Agency and the same hotel as a base in Nepal. Hope you'll find a way to visit my favourite country without any problems

My best wishes

Rongpuk

London
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: UK company for Everst base camp trek

Rongpuk I would like to be like that but Im having difficulties so am being less independent because of this. It might be easy for you how did you find the guide?

Lisa