We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Month visit: advise on trekking alone & heights, etc.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
391 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Month visit: advise on trekking alone & heights, etc.

I've been scouring this board for a while now, trying to decide on how to do a trip I'll be taking this October (Yes, peak season!) for a month.

I would like to do some trekking while traveling, but nothing too demanding since I'll be traveling alone. I've a fear of heights and would like to find a trek that doesn't have vertiginous ridges and which I can go on for a few days. EBC and Annapurna seem a bit ambitious for me at this time (mid-40s, moderately fit) - but the Langtang area (good mix of culture/villages and nature) appeals to me.

I am aware that I can join a trek once I've arrived in Kathmandu and have not set an itinerary this late, thinking I can get a better grip on what to expect once there (the general opinion also being that tours/treks are better booked after arrival). I don't want to over-plan the trip considering I have a month and don't want to do any of the longer and more demanding treks. I also like enjoying a few days doing nothing in places I find appealing.

Thanks so much in advance. I know I'm casting a very wide net here but would appreciate any helpful input.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Month visit: advise on trekking alone & heights, etc.

Hello alamosf

Welcome to the Forum and greetings from Nepal!

My suggestion itinerary for you for a month trips in Nepal. You may like it.

Day 01 : Katmandu

Day 02 : Kathmandu sight seeing tour

Day 03: Drive from Kathmandu to Syabrubesi(1610m) by Bus

Day 04 : Trek from Syabrubesi to Lama hotel (2480 m.) 6 hours

Day 05 : Trek from Lama Hotel to Langtang village (3541 m.) 5 hours

Day 06 : Trek from Langtang village to Kyangjin Gompa (3900 m.) Walking 2:30 hours

Day 07 : Day hike and explore around.

Day 08 : Trek down to Lama hotel (2480 m.) Walking 6-7 hours

Day 09 : Trek down to Syaprubensi. Walking 5 hours,

Day 10 : Drive back to Katmandu by Bus. 7 hours driving

Day 11/12: Explore Kathmandu and sightseeing around Kathmandu.

Day 13: Nagrkot closest view point from kathmandu

Day 14 :Drive to Bandiur, tradinal hill town on the way to Pokhara

Day 15: Drive to Pokhara

Day 16: Explore pokhara

Day 17 : Drive Pokhara to Nayapul and trek to Tikhedhunga (1540 m) 4-5 hrs.

Day 18: Trek to Ghorepani (2850 m) 6-7 hrs.

Day 19: Hike to Poon Hill and trek to Tadhapani (2660 m) 7-8 hrs.

Early morning hike to Poon Hill (3210 meters / 10531 feet to see panoramic view with beautiful sun rise view on the beautiful snowy white mountain. you can see more than 10 white panoramic mountain views from poon hill include 7th highest mountain Dhaulagiri and 10th highest mountain Annapurna 1st.

Day 20: Trek to Ghandruk (1940m) 3-4 hrs.

Day 21: Trek to Nayapul and drive back to Pokhara

Day 22/23: Relax and sightseeing tour around Pokhara.

Day 24: Drive to chitwan National park

Day 25/26 : Jungle activities

Day 27 Drive back to Kathmandu

Day 28/29 Free day in kathmandu

Day 30 Departure

For more info Stay in touch

Good luck

Sali

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,992 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Month visit: advise on trekking alone & heights, etc.

Joining an organised trek in Nepal isn’t always as easy as you might think – Although several agencies advertise “Fixed date Departures” the reality is that unless sufficient trekkers sign up then either the trek doesn’t depart – Or in some cases you end up as a trekking group of one.

Therefore my own suggestion is that you find a travel / trek-mate and organise your own trek, this will be easy enough in the main season, either in Kathmandu or by browsing travel forums and popping up your own post.

I would also suggest Langtang as an excellent trek that fits your requirements nicely – But Not the Same Old, Same Old itinerary that is advertised my all the Kathmandu agencies and posted above – Places like Lama Hotel will be Full of large noisy groups and apart from the noise and lack of beds, you will have Long waits for food – There are a lot of far nicer smaller places to stay such as Pahre, Riverside and Ghoda Tabela.

Then, as you have a full month, don’t try to organise too much in advance and certainly don’t tie yourself into anything by paying a hefty deposit – Trekking can be organised very quickly once you arrive in Nepal and you then have the advantage of meeting your trekking staff and companions as well as always getting a better price

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Edited: 26 July 2013, 09:13
3. Re: Month visit: advise on trekking alone & heights, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 10:46
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Month visit: advise on trekking alone & heights, etc.

Kind information to all travelers

Itinerary which i post on forum that is only guideline for the trip. No body have to follow ''Same old itinerary'' as above poster said.

What i think is , when travelers get outline itinerary will be easy to plan their trip and i post itinerary in forum. And there is always possible to change anything before trip and possible to change while on trip too. Will be possible to make bit shorter and longer your trekking day on your choice and if Tea house are available, which do not have to be in your itinerary. Thats the main benefit of private trip.

Cheers friends

Sali

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Month visit: advise on trekking alone & heights, etc.

Hello alamosf,

Welcome to Nepal forum!

The itinerary suggested above is fine but you can follow your own itinerary too. I generally prefer to talk with few agencies if I am traveling abroad [in the case you can using an agency] but the trek above [both treks] are doable on your own. A guide won't be needed but I am not against of using a guide or an agency. As the the necessity you can use both guides and agencies as per your interest. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

If you want to arrange the trek once you arrive in Kathmandu that will be fine too. Both treks can be arranged within short time.

I am against of joining with groups or people you do not know. That can cause misunderstanding on the treks. I recommend you travel with private staffs.

The trek suggested above is fine and is not hard one. You can extend to Gosainkunda Lake side if you want to avoid Poon Hill or Ghorepani Trek and want to extend few days on Langtang Trek.

Here is a sample map for Langtang Region Trek: …umbra.cz/img/map/Langtang_1_100000_150_dpi_…

Good Luck!

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Month visit: advise on trekking alone & heights, etc.

Hi again,

I forgot to mention these small notes for Langtang region treks:

If you want to trek on your own then you will basically need two permits;

Langtang National Park Entry Permit: US$ 35 approximately / per permit / exactly NRS 3000

Trekkers Information Management System [TIMS] Permit: US$ 20 if you do not use an agency. If you use an agency then they will arrange for you, it costs US$ 10 for them.

Here is two itinerary posted in TripAdvisor articles:

Langtang Gosainkunda Trek: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c152406/Nepal…

Gosainkunda Helambu Trek: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c171894/Nepal…

You can combine all Langtang, Gosainkunda and Helambu all together too.

Good Luck!

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Month visit: advise on trekking alone & heights, etc.

In post 8 under this discussion I have given a brief summary of my views on the various ways of going trekking: tripadvisor.co.uk/…50894657.

If you go trekking, it is NOT necessary to be walking, or trekking, every day. If you like somewhere, then you can stop there for as many days as you wish - you can read a book, take in the views, visit a monastery, eat, drink, rest, talk to other travellers, wash clothes - it is not compulsory to be walking every day. You can also stop somewhere and do a series of local day walks. I have done all these things many times. You can also set an itinerary that suits your fitness and stamina - you could have a series of shorter days, with more stops, use a porter, take rest days - there are all sorts of options. Trekking is not a military syle training march (though it can be if you wish - I have done some quite tough days, as well as easy ones).

The only qualification to this is how you arrange your trekking - ie which basic option you select in the link above. If you go with an organised group, especially a larger group, they will necessarily have pretty fixed itineraries, and you will have to stop, start, leave etc as the group stops, starts and leaves.

I now trek with a guide I engage directly and pay on a daily rate basis - so he gets paid the same whether we spend a day sitting around talking or hiking over a steep high pass. Within reason I get tremendous flexibility. I also now trek mainly in the winter (Dec and Jan) when there is much less other work around for guides, so there is less pressure on his time - in Oct most guides will be booked through to the end of Nov at least. I have trekked this way 5 times so far (4 times with my main guide, and last time with his youngest brother, as my main guide was already booked). I am very lucky in that I get on very well with both of them - I have stayed 3 times in their non tourist village. Before that I trekked completely independently with other indy westerners.

October will be very busy, but there will also be quite a lot of indy trekkers - one option would be to link up with others as you trek - this has worked well for me in the past.

Generally in Nepal, on the main routes, it is rare that you are walking along edges with sheer drops, though there are some.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Month visit: advise on trekking alone & heights, etc.

A few thoughts:

You could hire your own guide and porter, or possibly a porter/guide. Not only will this making the trekking easier, but a good guide will also help you to understand the culture and customs of the country

Neither of the trekking routes suggested will involve you in vertiginous ridges

To the itinerary suggested above I'd add Day 12, afternoon, drive to Bhaktapur and spend the night there. Day 13 a.m. explore Bhaktapur, then in the afternoon drive on to Nagarkot (there's not a lot at Nagarkot other than sunset / sunrise views)

Personally I prefer the Ghorepani trek the other way round - (Nyapul - Ghandruk - Tadapani (or Banthanti) - Ghorepani - Tirkedungha (or Hille) - Nyapul, mainly because I'd rather go DOWN the 3300 step staircase between Tirkedungha and Ullieri than to go UP it !)

Edited: 26 July 2013, 10:27
Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,992 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Month visit: advise on trekking alone & heights, etc.

trekkingw

Re your Langtang Itinerary

Part of the overcrowding on popular trekking routes is actually created by agents like yourself pushing the Same Old, Same Old trekking schedules, so rather than make excuses, why not update the trekking schedules that you copy and paste on forums like this – Use some of the 17 years trekking experience that you were boasting about a few days ago and come up with some new and exciting itineraries.

To give you a few clues to what I mean, why insist on staying in Lama Hotel both on the way up the valley as well as on the way down, trekkers like a change of scenery and a chance to spend the night at a different village.

Why not consider utilising the old high level traverse via Sherpagon to exit the valley (Although maybe not in this case as the trail is somewhat exposed)

By splitting the daily stages differently you are both easing the overcrowding problem as well as spreading the money around the less used villages and therefore making some of your own countrymen very happy.

Another point regarding Langtang, as the road to Syabru Besi continues to improve, the trek is bound to get more popular and it will take a while for the infrastructure to catch up – So already overcrowded places like Lama Hotel will become even more crowded, so by taking the above “Advice” it can only help the situation.

Just an idea of course – What would a foreigner like myself know ;-)

Best Regards

Rob

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Month visit: advise on trekking alone & heights, etc.

into-thin-air

Yes you are right, As i said on my above post that is an idea for an itinerary. If the person is interested on that outline itinerary after that i want Use some of the 17 years trekking experience for some new and exciting itineraries.''

you see on this thread the person who was asking question we never get any reply from him/her. And we are disusing each other only. we never heard from the first post. if something like that i dont want to waste my time. i want to wait to give full suggestion if he is interested from the some replies.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293890-i9244-k669…

what i am thinking is if i see any more request for some more suggestion from the first poster after that i will be happy to give my further information in details. and that will be good idea, its my opinion.

Who is asking the question in the forum he dont know what to do, where to go and how long, in that case no need to give full details about any destination that i think. if only he is interested on some outline info like my itinerary above, after that i will be very happy to give full info, like, do this, do that, go there and here, visit this area and etc.

As you said Lama hotel is busy and crowed and its true, why u dint explain about Tamang heritage trial in Post 2 ?. i know langtang tamang heritage trial will be good option for him and he may go to kaynjing gumba via Tamang heritage trial or something different like via sherpaganu. etc.

Different people different thoughts Rob. i know what is best and what is not, and i think i am trying do my best in forum, even not all, some people they liked my information too. thanks for your advice and i am trying to do my best for new travelers in this forum,

Sali