We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice on booking a Trek!

Louisville...
4 posts
Save Topic
Need Advice on booking a Trek!

Hello,

I am interested in going on a beginner's trek in late October, preferably the Everest Panorama Trek and only for about 8 days total. My main question is whether I should book a tour in advance or if I should simply show up in Katmandu around the time I would like to begin my trek and try to find a guide on the spot. I've heard I could save money by booking on the spot but I am concerned about being able to find something that fits my needs specifically.

If anyone has experience with booking on the spot or any advice on how to save cost I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Mountain Monarch Adventures - Private Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Climbing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Breathe Nepal Trekking
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice on booking a Trek!

Hello tbpeur01,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

For Everest region it's good to book in advance due to flight problems. October is busy month so that it will be difficult to get early morning flights if you plan to book in advance. If you were planning to book the treks in Annapurna or Langtang then there would be no problems to book once you arrive. The situation in Everest is different. If I am not wrong then only one airline flies to Lukla currently so getting your seat once you arrive will be difficult.

Downloadable map for Everest region:

…umbra.cz/img/map/Khumbu_Sagarmatha_National…

Good Luck!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice on booking a Trek!

Hello tbpeur01,

Greetings from Nepal

As above poster said it will be far better to book your trip early in advance. i dont think it will be cheaper if you book your trip after your arrival. it is same cost you book form there or here. main things is to find good company, you may talk with several company. and compare their price and services, which makes you easy to choose the company.

you should make mind if there is any problem on Lukla flight you have to divert your trip to other region, you may talk with company for Anapurna trek or langtang trek instead of Everest.

Good Luck

Sali

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice on booking a Trek!

Given that you have only 8 days do you really want to spend at least part of one trawling around the many trekking agencies in Kathmandu ?

Does your wish for a 'beginner's trek' imply that this is your first visit to Nepal ?

There are advantages in sorting it out by email before you arrive. Particularly if it's your first visit then it will be much simpler to arrange a package that would include being met on arrival at Kathmandu airport, transported to a hotel, internal transfers including Lukla flights, Nepali guide / porter (and their insurance) etc. There are many agencies that could offer this service, at a reasonable price.

One approach would be to google 'Everest Panorama trek', and to approach several of the companies that this search throws up, and to compare their responses. Ensure that they are Government registered, and members of TAAN (Trekking Agents Association of Nepal). I would also ignore any that ask for other than a very minimal deposit - ideally no deposit in advance.

Most of the regular posters on this site have their own particular favourite agents whom they have used before, and I'm sure they would happily share that information if asked. Over the past few years I've put together a list of comments (both positive and negative) from genuine trekkers - send me a message if you want that list.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 09:56
Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice on booking a Trek!

Personally I wouldn’t fully commit to anything before meeting my trekking Staff – Even in the height of the season, good agents will have guides available, so as Alan suggest, no harm in emailing a few Agents and coming up with a short list to save time once you arrive in Nepal

Also, Be Very Careful on who’s “Advice” you take when selecting your trekking / travel agent as things aren't always as they first appear on the net – Sometimes the advice you are given is far from impartial as some posters are associated with guides and agents, some are even recommending guides and agents who used to post on here and were banned for self promotion / dishonesty, so Always Google any recommendations and look for independent (And preferably verifiable) feedback + under No circumstances should you pay a hefty deposit and therefore tie yourself into something before meeting your trekking staff, Good Agents are happy for you to do this, but the less reputable ones always want sizeable deposits that are then next to impossible to get back if you are dissatisfied with what is on offer once you arrive in Nepal.

Finally, any unsolicited emails with offers of “Help” should be reported to the site moderators so that action can be taken against the people sending them

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Louisville...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Advice on booking a Trek!

Thanks everyone, my "beginner" I do mean this will be my first trip to Nepal. I've narrowed down a couple agencies that offer trips for length I'm looking for (lukla flight included) for about $850. I think i'll continue my research but as of now this sounds like my best option.

Louisville...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Advice on booking a Trek!

Anyone have experience with Nature Trail Travel and Tours?

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Advice on booking a Trek!

Hi again tbpeur01,

I do not have any experiences with the agent you are talking about. Please make sure if the agent you are talking is a trekking agency or travel agency. If the one you are talking about is travel agency then they are not allowed to issue permits and they will contract with a trekking agent. I recommend you to book with trekking agent direct but not with travel agent. Both are different.

Good Luck!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,471 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Advice on booking a Trek!

No experience with them but they are listed on TAAN:

taan.org.np/member/nature-trail-trekking-exp…

So are a trekking outfit.

scoodly

9. Re: Need Advice on booking a Trek!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 23:21
Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Advice on booking a Trek!

No – I haven’t come across “Nature Trail” myself either – But as scoodly says. They are listed on TAAN and if you have a recommendation from someone you know and trust then give them a go.

If not then how did you come across them ??

Good Luck and Happy safe Trekking

Rob