We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which trek to choose?

Manali, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Which trek to choose?

Can anyone that's done at least two of the following treks give me their opinion on which is the best/their favorite or the differences between them?

High Pass (EBC)

Annapurna (ABC)

Langtang

Mera Peak

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
118 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which trek to choose?

Three Passes Trek (Everest Region):

The daddy of all treks... takes about 20 days to do. Treks over the Kong Ma La (tough), Cho La, Renjo La (superb view of Everest from this pass). Altitude gets you up to about 5600m. At times can be quite tough, but you get up close to Everest, can do side trips to EBC, Kala Patthar and get to see Everest in all its glory. If you are seriously into trekking, and don't mind the fact that you will not wash much for a few weeks, then this is for you. You get to see some seriously beautiful landscapes, and some of the highest mountains in the world. Can be a bit dangerous at different times of the year, and acclimatisation is a must.

Annapurna (ABC):

Takes about a week, or 9 days if you incorporate Poon Hill and the Ghandruk Loop. Great scenery, beautiful people. Maximum altitude of about 4200m, which is ABC. I love this trek, and will always go back and do it as I really love the people in Jhinu Danda, so nice! Medium difficulty, pretty much anyone can do it.

Mera Peak... this is what I want to do in Feb. Never done Langtang.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 05:52
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
592 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which trek to choose?

hi

done annapurna trek..best one as per my view

never done three pass trek..

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which trek to choose?

Personally I think that trying to choose the “Better” trek is always going to be a tough choice as one person’s experience of a particular trek will, in all probability be completely different to another’s.

There are simply too many variables, the weather, differing qualities of trekking staff, choices of accommodation and food and expectations.

From your list, I have trek Langtang (Twice) and ABC as well as part of the trail to Mera Peak (Arun Valley, which is usually part of the approach) and EBC (twice, but not over the high passes)

From your list i would say that Mera Peak is the most challenging, followed by The 3 passes

ABC and Langtang being easier routes, but still excellent treks in their own right.

Also the costs of Mera Peak will be considerably higher + you will have to pay for return Lukla flights for both Mera Peak and The 3 passes.

Whereas Langtang and ABC can be trekked completely independently without the use of trekking staff, this considerably cutting down on your costs

So – In a nutshell, you are comparing apples with oranges

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,550 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which trek to choose?

Hi

Some info on Langtang and ABC on this topic:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…42826787

It might be worth clarifying how much time you have available; is it the 7 - 10 days you mentioned on LP? The high passes trek is up to 3 weeks.

scoodly

Edited: 20 September 2013, 09:52
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which trek to choose?

Totally agree with Rob about 'apples and oranges', but for what they are worth, here are my personal perspectives on the 4 treks you mention.

Have you looked at the various itineraries under 'Top Questions' at the top right of this Nepal Forum page ? They will also help to give the flavour of the various options

High Pass (EBC) - haven't done the 3 passes route, but EBC/Kala Pattar is justifiably popular.

Annapurna (ABC) - A very pleasant short (10 - 14 days) trek. Surprising amount of up and down, but superb close-up mountain views in the Sanctuary - a mind-blowing place to be, and delightful rural landscapes on the way there. I've trekked it three times, and thoroughly enjoyed it.Shares with Langtang the advantage that as you reach only just over 4000 metres there's less danger of altitude-related problems.

Langtang - on two trips into Langtang I found the first couple of days quite hard - ever uphill in the deep valley, so you can't see a lot, and no real villages until you reach Langtang village. By this time you are in the flat-floored glacial trough, with superb scenery and a sense of remoteness. The drive to Dunche or Syabrubensi takes a whole day, and a further day's drive to get back unless you take the longer, but in my opinion infinitely preferable, option of exiting via Gosainkund to trek down to Kathmandu from the north.

Mera Peak - I was on Mera 20 years ago, but still have very clear memories of the trip. The mountain itself is mostly a snow plod, with the relatively few dangers fairly obvious. It demands no technical mountaineering competence.

It's a 'there and back again' route, so that in some ways it's less challenging than the 3 Passes route - with Mera you can always turn round, (whereas with the 3 Passes if you decide not to cross the Renja La it's a long way back round to reach Gokyo)

We had walked in from Jiri, so were tolerably well acclimatised by the time we reached Lukla. If you fly in to Lukla there's a problem in that within 2 days you are at 4400 metres as you cross the Zatrawa La. Once you are over it, and into the Hinku valley it gets easier for the next few days as you make the slow ascent towards Mera Base Camp at Khare. When we were there the Hinku valley was uninhabited apart from a couple of huts at Tagnag: I believe there are now several lodges along the route, which may rob it of some of the feeling of remoteness.

As Rob says, much more expensive if you want to set foot on the mountain - permit, guide, HA porter, etc.

6. Re: Which trek to choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 06:19