We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nepal or northern india for 6 nights?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
nepal or northern india for 6 nights?

I am planning a trip to asia this January and have 6 nights to spend in either northern india or Nepal. I am considering doing either Nepal (Kathmandu & Chitwan NP) or Northern India (Delhi, Agra & Jaipur) during this time. Can anyone suggest which of these options would be best? I've heard mixed reviews about each destination and am really undecided! Thanks.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nepal or northern india for 6 nights?

Hello HolidayKat_86,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

I haven't been to India so can't comment about it however Nepal is a wonderful place to visit. Kathmandu and Chitwan will fit inside your time frame as well. I would recommend Nepal.

Sample itinerary here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c182391/Nepal…

Good Luck!

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
426 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nepal or northern india for 6 nights?

For only 6 days, I would recommend the Golden Triangle of India (the cities you mention). For magnificence, the architecture is hard to beat.

That said, Nepal is a much softer introduction to traveling in poor countries than India. By and large, Nepalese are not out to scam you -- overcharge a little, but you're super-rich compared to most of them. But you have to be on your guard in India, all the time -- lots of people (not everyone) ARE out to scam you for lots of money -- you have to be cautious about anyone coming up to you and starting a conversation in English. For example, "guards" at railway stations seeking you out at the entrance and blandly assuring you that your train is canceled, even pulling out some paper that shows it to be "true", but luckily they have a friend who can help you with a private tour to Agra. Taxi drivers who take you to a different place than you ask for. We enjoyed India in Jan 2013, but going to Nepal in Jan 2012 first was (in retrospect) a good intro course.

If you are traveling to India, I strongly recommend the India Mike website, which has a very active set of forums and web pages about traveling in India. In particular, the info about train travel was very useful -- buying train tickets in India is not a simple matter. On the other hand, TripAdvisor is better for finding hotel recommendations -- the ones on India Mike are very out of date.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nepal or northern india for 6 nights?

I would probably agree to do the golden triangle in India if that is all the time you have

come back to Nepal when you have more time to enjoy it

uk
Level Contributor
344 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nepal or northern india for 6 nights?

Northern India would win hands down for me!! I dont recommend spending too long in Dehli as it isnt a nice place, but Jaipur, Agra (Half day), and Rishikesh/Haridwar are close by.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
426 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nepal or northern india for 6 nights?

If you DO decide on Nepal, for 6 days I think you'd just want to spend the time in and near the Kathmandu valley, and not go to Chitwan -- the travel to/from there will consume too much of your very short time. Each of Kathmandu, Patan, and Bhaktapur is a full day at least. The Lonely Planet book has several self-guided walking tours which are a nice way to wander around these old cities.

In either northern India or Nepal, you might want to bring a lightweight sleeping bag. The low-end hotels/hostels aren't heated, and it's cool at night in January. Also, if you have asthma, you should be aware that Kathmandu in the winter has about the worst air pollution in the world, from all the coal-fired brick kilns combined with temperature inversions trapping the smog in the valley.

6. Re: nepal or northern india for 6 nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 05:18