We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary

Hello everyone!

Would like your suggestion for our first trip to Nepal in Feb next year. We are celebrating our 20th anniversary and I want it all to be perfect in this gorgeous country.

We arrive on the afternoon of 20th Feb and leave in the afternoon of 1st March.

I would like to know:

1. We want to do an easy trek for sightseeing for 2-3 days. Should we do one in Kathmandu or Pokhara? I got some quotes from both, but would like your suggestions on which one would be better scenery wise.

2. How many days would we need in Pokhara if there is no trekking to be done?

3. I believe Shivratri is around then, so where is the best place to take part in the festivities?

Any other suggestions are also most welcome. Thank you so very much in advance!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

Hello,

1, Kathmandu mainly provides your heritage sites like temples, palaces, monasteries, stupa etc. Pokhara is basically for natural heritages and mountain views. Both are different places. It's hard to suggest only one. It depend what you like. If you are not doing any treks then you can cover both places easily.

2, One full day will be enough for sightseeing around there.

3, Pashupatinath Temple is Kathmandu will have fun in Shivaratri.

Good Luck!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary

Short treks from Pokhara, for example by road to Khande then trek to Pothana and stay there overnight, next day trek to Landrung, third day descend into the valley and trek via Birethanti to Nyapul then back by road to Pokhara, will give you far more close-up views of mountains than will treks around Kathmandu. The route outlined there will also take you through delightful rural landscapes.

Pokhara, as commented above, lacks the heritage sites that Kathmandu and its valley have. Personally I see Pokhara as a pleasant place to chill out after a trek, rather than a cultural experience. in your short visit then 1 day in Pokhara would be ample.

Have you considered a couple of nights in Chitwan ?

Feb. 20: arrive

21: Tour of Kathmandu - Dhurbar Square, Swayambunath, Bodnath

22. Fly to Pokhara (great views of the mountains during the flight !). By road to Khande, trek to Pothana

23. Trek to Landrung

24. Trek to Nyapul. By road back to Pokhara

25. In Pokhara

26. By road to Chitwan

27. In Chitwan

28. By road back to Kathmandu

is a possible itinerary.

Alternatively (but in my opinion less satisfying) you could reduce the trek by one day by

23rd: Trek from Pothana to Dhampus then down to the road at Dhampus Phedi. You could be back in Pokhara by lunchtime, in which case, after a pleasant afternoon around the Lakeside,

24th: To Chitwan

26th: Back to Kathmandu

27: To Bhaktapur

28. In Kathmandu

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary

Good info already provided and I like the suggestions you have had from Alan – I suppose it really all depends on how much time you want to devote to trekking as to whether you choose the shorter, or the longer trek

There are some more details and photos of this trek on Here

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/22e5e7/

My own reality is that very few people go to Nepal only the once – So you can use this trip as a taster ;-)

Good Luck and Happy safe Travels

Rob

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary

Hello atuljig,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

For the trek you can also think about Nagarkot Trek. The itinerary is something like:

Day 01: Drive to Sundarijal, trek to Chisapani

Day 02: Trek to Nagarkot

Day 03: Trek to Changunarayan, drive to Kathmandu or Trek to Dhulikhel and return to Kathmandu next morning.

This trek is easy walk doable from Kathmandu.

Good Luck!

Delhi
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary

Hi, the itinerary was quite useful. We plan to arrive at Kathamandu on 28 Dec 2013 and depart from Kathmandu on 6 Dec 2013. What could be a good itinerary if want to consider Kathmandu, Pokhara and a light trek for 3 nights. We would like to avoid Chitwan or any other National Park. Thanks

6. Re: Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 06:20