We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in Nepal by rental car

Frankfurt, Germany
12 posts
Save Topic
Travelling in Nepal by rental car

Hi,

next year my girlfirend and me want to make a roundtrip in Nepal. Is it possible to get a rental car there for selfdriving? And in which condition are the roads?

Thank you for sharing experiences.

Best,

Chris

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling in Nepal by rental car

Not really advisable - roads are treacherous, no good vehicles to rent - but can it done - Yes

Probably better off with a good sports motorbike

Either option will be quite "adventurous"

Good luck

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling in Nepal by rental car

It is definately not advisable.

The roads are in bad condition even i Kathmandu. And trafic rules are more seen as 'intentions under the right circumstances' than actual rules to be followed, so the trafic is in general very caotic. Further more you are - as German - used to driving in the right side of the road. In Nepal they drive left side (or that is what they are supposed to, but if they find the road too bumpy or just too crowded, they might take up more Space in the right side of the road.

I don't even dare to think about what will happen if you accidently damage somthing or someone. But you will probably have to sort it out financially before they will let you leave the area.

So my suggestion is to go by plane, rental car with driver, bus, taxi, on your own feet etc.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
432 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling in Nepal by rental car

In Jan 2012, we were able to rent a car plus driver (spoke some English, but definitely NOT a guide) for US$300 for 7 days. We went to Manakamana, Gorkha, Bandipur, Lumbini, and Chitwan, then back to Kathmandu. The car was a 1995 Toyota Corolla, and except for 1 flat tire, we had no problems. I wouldn't want to drive there myself -- chaos is common.

We asked at our hotel, and he made a "deal" with some other hotel with a car and driver. No doubt we could have saved some money by shopping around, but it didn't seem worth the trouble -- we were happy, and had a good time. Just remember that since the roads are in very bad condition, you will average only about 40-50 km/hour even on an open low-traffic highway -- at best.

Mentioned in this post
Bandipur
Bandipur
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Lumbini
Lumbini
Lumbini Zone, Nepal
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan National Park
Chitwan District, Nepal
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling in Nepal by rental car

Hello Chris,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

You already have got useful advises from other travelers. I never heard about self driving car but doable with bike. I also won't advise you to drive the car on your own. I am in Kathmandu and sometimes I drive my organization's SUV the roads are crazy. Better with a driver.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling in Nepal by rental car

Hello,

I use to hire private vehicles for my clients a lot and it always comes with a driver. I am not aware if any agencies will offer you self driving service. You can contact few agencies to see if they can arrange something for you. If you hold international valid driving license then it should not be a problem.

The road is not good in Nepal. Kathmandu experiences lots of traffic road blocks and highway is not good as well. The road is pretty narrow as well.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling in Nepal by rental car

do you and your girlfriend have any value of your lives

do your families approve of such a reckless plan

hire a car with a driver

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling in Nepal by rental car

meconopsisgardner!

The OP is asking a question, beause he doesn't know the answer...he might not have been to Nepal before. He has no idea about the condition of the roads and wants to be informed, so he can make the right choices.

Welshpool, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling in Nepal by rental car

I agree all the above poster, it might be wise that you hire a local experienced driver. Only Nepalese driver knows how to drive safely in Nepal.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 21:44
Kathmandu, Nepal
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling in Nepal by rental car

Hello Chris,

Greeting from Kathmandu,

Hope you have got enough information from other travelers, you may rent a car with driver while you stay in Nepal but self driving is not advisable as road condition of countryside is very much narrow and bumpy some part.

Enjoy your trip in Nepal

Best of luck

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Espoo
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling in Nepal by rental car

Even if renting a car without a driver would be possible it would be foolish for two reasons: no westerner fresh into the country is nowhere prepared to drive there, as the attitude is totally foreign (even if there are some "rules"). Secondly: if and when an accident happens, you turn into an instant milking cow.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 15:51