We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oz $ Vs US or Euro

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Oz $ Vs US or Euro

Hi fellow travelers, as I cant buy NPR until I get there what is, in your experience, the best currency to take for the short term? I am from Australia and I only need cash for the visa at the airport and whatever else crops up until I get to an ATM in Kathmandu.

Thanks in advance!

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oz $ Vs US or Euro

I only ever take OZ$

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,062 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oz $ Vs US or Euro

AUD can be used to pay for the visa and there are ATMs in the aorport (exchange counters too but expensive as usual). That said, the visa is possibly cheaper in USD even after exchange costs at home - USD is the base price and the exchange rate is poor.

ATMs in Nepal usually charge per withdrawal - 400 rupees seems common. Your home bank might charge for overseas withdrawals; worth checking because relying on ATMs might not be the cheapest option. (There are other factors to consider too.)

scoodly

Edited: 22 October 2013, 12:32
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oz $ Vs US or Euro

Thanks guys, I only expect to make one withdrawal from the ATM when I arrive or should i use an exchange? How much generally would I need to take with me on the ABC Trek? Trekking with a company so accommodation paid for and am not a big souvenir spender.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oz $ Vs US or Euro

I will be on the trek for about 10 days.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,062 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oz $ Vs US or Euro

How much is needed for the trek depends if food, hot drinks and showers/hot water are included. If none of this is included then USD25 per day (equivalent in rupees) is enough for a plentiful and reasonably varied diet. It's common for one hot drink per meal to be included but cold drinks are extras. If the latter USD 10 should be enough to cover these and the occasional beer, chocolate bars etc.

No big difference using an ATM once but I prefer to keep costs down and would take cash and exchange.

scoodly

Edited: 22 October 2013, 12:53
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oz $ Vs US or Euro

Thanks Scoodly I was planning on taking $500 AUD cash for the trek so I think I will be fine, better to be over prepared.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oz $ Vs US or Euro

just take plenty of AUD$

change some at a time as you need it in Kathmandu

when you are there you will work out what you need for the trek and change enough for that

if you have AUD$ left at the end it doesn't matter

there are money change places galore in Kathmandu

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9,062 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oz $ Vs US or Euro

Thar should be plenty. A minor point; that amount might mean two withdrawals so two charges.

Enjoy the trek.

scoodly

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oz $ Vs US or Euro

Thanks again for the advice, and yes it will all become obvious when I am there and 2 withdrawal fees aint that big a deal for the convenience I guess. Can't wait to get there and sample the food, culture and scenery!

Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oz $ Vs US or Euro

Hi,

Just to inform you. You won't be able to withdraw more than aus $ 500 per day from ATM due to govt policy but major shop, travel agency, hotel accepts credit cards and debit card. Or you have to withdraw from bank counter or best bring some aus $ cash and get it changed at money changer or bank .