We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Altitude Sickness?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
High Altitude Sickness?

I was planning to do Langtang and Gosainkund trek for 14 days in Oct. However, I felt sick after arrived to a village at my lunch time which is 3200m. I just stayed in the village to accommodate the altitude before going up to Langtang Village. That is only my second day of trekking. I vomit, then started diarrhea for a week until I go back KTM. Finally, I just didn't go to Gosainkund. Is it a high altitude sickness? If so, how come I still have stomach problem when I going down from Kanyjin Gompa back to Sybrui Bensi? That is not my first time going to high mountain, I just don't believe I got the sickness at 3000m+.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Altitude Sickness?

I am not a doctor

it doesn't sound like altitude sickness

have you been to a doctor

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Altitude Sickness?

It sounds more like a case of 'food poisoning' to me!

In my experience it takes a lot of caution to go through a visit in Nepal without any kind of stomach issue and I am not even sure it is possible. At least I havn't succeeded yet ;-)

But to get a 'bullet proof' answer, you need to ask a doctor!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Altitude Sickness?

It can't be a high altitude sickness in my opinion too. It might be poisoning. You better consult with doctor for better results.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Altitude Sickness?

Lisbeth you better toughen up - I haven't even been sick in India

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: High Altitude Sickness?

I am not a medic, but to me also it sounds like some form of food poisoning - and you cannot still have an altitude related illness if you are back in Ktm. See a doctor. Also keep in mind that Oct is peak season and that the load on lodge kitchens is at its greatest, so hygiene etc tends to get less attention than when it is quieter.

BTW I always carry cipro, tinidazole and amoxycilian when I go trekking. Cipro on the 2-3 times I have used it has been very quick and effective. For my last 5 treks I have had very few stomach problems in Nepal, but that may be at least in part because I now mainly trek "off season" (Dec - Jan) when it is much quieter, and the kitchens are much less busy.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
153 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High Altitude Sickness?

Sounds like a stomach issue, I agree with the others, I too carried Cipro, Immodium, I traveled off season, very careful with water. I had no issues, it is hard to determine what the standard of cleanliness can be, when one is often dirty from trekking as well. One can only do their best by washing hands, and avoiding certain foods perhaps. I recall peeking into the kitchen of one Tea House and seeing someone shirtless and washing their upper body and hair in the sink next to the food cooking on the stove. The meal was delicious, too bad this malady sent you back

7. Re: High Altitude Sickness?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 05:21