We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Guide In Nepal

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Guide In Nepal

I travelled to Nepal on the 29th Sept 13 with a friend.

I used trip advisor to find a tour guide. Before we left Australia we had all in place for Nepal and to visit Bhutan. The guide I used was prompt with emails and I told them what I wanted to do for my itinerary all went to plan. Price for the tour was very reasonable. I would recommend this company to anyone. Please if you want any info please contact me. Im not sure how long my post would last if I named names and companys .

Mentioned in this post
Sunrise Adventure Travels
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours, Helicopter Tours
Fishtail Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Mountain Monkey
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours
adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Guide In Nepal

post a full trip report

and then go to the Bhutan forum and post one there too

trip reports are far more valuable than just a guides name

I have a guide but may get information from a trip report

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Guide In Nepal

Fantastic Tour Guide in Nepal. Had a fantastic trekking trip to Gokyo mainly due to our outstanding trekking guide Shankar. His extensive knowledge and experience was evident from the start. We trekked to Gokyo Ri, 5400m, with no altitude sickness and no medication, much of this was due to his advice along the way. We stayed at clean teahouses and the food was always extremely good. Give him an email:

shankar.rimal@hotmail.com

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Guide In Nepal

Choosing a trekking operator / Guide is probably the most important decision that you will make as a Good one will rely make your trip, where as a bad one could easily ruin it – TA doesn’t accept reviews on Trekking Operators in Nepal but some less scrupulous ones have gotten around the rules by having their services listed on impropriate boards such as “Day Tours” and Kathmandu Attractions” – Many of these reviews should be treated with a certain amount of suspicion as they are often posted by one time posters

Never tie yourself into something by paying a hefty deposit - Always meet your trekking staff before handing over your hard earned cash so as to ensure that all is as promised as getting refunds once in Nepal is often very problematic

Also any unsolicited offers of help that you have received though your PM’s should be treated with suspicion and reported to the site moderators

When hiring out “Staff” the secret of a successful trek is to set the ground rules Before setting off and these rules should include

1) Always interview your “Staff” Before you go trekking with them, Preferably get them to give you a walking tour around Kathmandu, Then they are away from the office, will be able to talk freely and you will be in a better position to judge their ability to communicate, character and if you are going to be able to get on well enough with them on your trek.

2)Ask if he has already trekked the route you are going on and how many times

3) Tell them that You Always retain the final say where you will stay and where and when you will eat.

Personally I am Happy to look at places recommended by my “Staff” (As I am aware that some places look after Nepali’s a lot better than others, better accommodation as well as better / cheaper food for them + if they get a little kick-back then as long as I am happy with the standard as well as the price that I am paying this doesn’t bother me)

4) I also mention to them that as long as I am happy with their services then they will get a Good Tip – I think this clears the air and gives your “Staff” that extra incentive to ensure that you are well looked after.

5) The agent that I use provides all his “Staff” with a mobile phone – I also think this is an excellent idea so that if there is a problem then (providing you have a phone Signal) these can be Quickly sorted out.

6) Before I start a trek is to have a rough schedule, then I know approximately how many days I will be trekking for, to this I usually add one buffer day, so If all goes according to plan I am usually back from my trek one day ahead, With this the agent that is use I can claim one days fees back, but in reality, as I have always been happy with my treks, I have never done this, but have ensured that my “Staff” are still paid the extra day.

Another system that the agent I use has is that if you want to extend your trek, if it takes longer than originally anticipated or if for what ever reason you are delayed then you can pay your “Staff” direct. This works well for everyone as the “Staff” in actual fact get more money as there is no agents commission deducted and as the agent has already had his cut he is (Or should be) happy as well.

7) It is also worth making 100% sure that your “Staff” are insured and that the agent is making sure that their clothing is up to the standard for the area / season you are trekking in.

It may sound like a bit of a list – But personally I think it is well worth that little extra effort at the beginning of your trek to help minimise potential unforeseen problems later :-)

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

4. Re: Tour Guide In Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:24