We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie Visa Question + Late Night Taxis

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Aussie Visa Question + Late Night Taxis

Hi, I've done a bit of searching on the forums and found a couple of answers, but they're all a year or so old - I just want to make sure nothing has changed.

Can I, as an Australian citizen, easily get a Visa on Arrival at Kathmandu Airport. It seems like I will be landing at around 11pm - will the visa office be open?

Secondly, seeing as I'm landing at 11pm, will there be a taxi to take me into town/is it safe for a solo female to be catching taxis to Hotel Shakti (which is at Amrit Marg, Bhagwan Bahal, Thamel) at this time?

As you can tell, I haven't been to Nepal before, so I'm sorry if I'm asking silly questions!

Thanks so much guys!

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussie Visa Question + Late Night Taxis

Hi LittleRunner168

Yes, you can easily get visa on arrival and the immigration is open.

A simple trick to keep it even more smooth is to print and fill out the application form before arrival, have passort Photos and the correct amount of Money ready. You find the application form and more information here:

http://www.immi.gov.np/download-file

There will be taxis available as long as planes is arriving. No problem. And it is safe also for a solo, female traveller. Expect the Price to be in the area of 500-600 NRP from the airport to your hotel (Haggle before entering the taxi)

There is an ATM in the airport, where you can take out Nepali Rupee.

I checked your hotels website. They do offer airport pick-up, but probably more expenssive than just taking a taxi.

There are no such thing as silly questions ;-)

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussie Visa Question + Late Night Taxis

I have used the hotel's pick up for my last 5 visits staying at 3 different hotels. On all occasions this has worked very well, even when I was delayed awaiting luggage to be unloaded. It will help save the hassle etc of negotiating with taxi drivers, and should be completely safe. Most hotels offer it free if guests stay X nights - this partly depends on the hotels prices - more basic hotels will probably charge for the service. Also the driver will know where the hotel is - central Kathmandu can be a confusing "rabbit warren", especially in the dark (there is very little street lighting at night in most of Ktm).

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussie Visa Question + Late Night Taxis

Good advice already posted.

If it were me, I would also go for the airport pick-up through the hotel as this will be a much easier option, especially as a first time, solo female visitor arriving late at night (I am sure that a taxi would also be safe, but the airport pick up will certainly be less stressful)

If it costs you an extra $5 then so be it ;-)

My walk through on arriving at Kathmandu Tribuvan Airport might also be useful

members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/9/

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussie Visa Question + Late Night Taxis

you will be one of many Aussies in Nepal

visa on arrival

if the airport is open the visa desk will be open

hotel pick up or taxi both easy - which ever you feel comfortable with

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussie Visa Question + Late Night Taxis

Thank you SO much guys! Great info, I feel well informed now!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussie Visa Question + Late Night Taxis

Hello,

Lots of good information posted by travelers already. I would also recommend you to arrange the pickup from the hotel as it's late night flight. No problem about the visa, you can get upon arrival and immigration will also open. Nepal is pretty safe for solo female travelers too, you will have good time in Nepal.

Sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussie Visa Question + Late Night Taxis

If none of the options mentioned above work then get your self a pre paid taxi from the airport. They are located on the right just as you exit the customs area. They have got rid of those old cars now and charge around Npr 800 to thamel.

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussie Visa Question + Late Night Taxis

Just to clarify/expand a point I made above - if your flight gets in 11pm local time, it will most likely be getting towards midnight once you get through immigration, luggage collection etc.

If the hotel you are staying at is fairly small, and especially if it is down one of the side streets, as many are, a taxi driver may well not know where the hotel is, and with the lack of street lighting and very confusing layout of many of the streets and buildings in Ktm (you will see what I mean when you get there) it could be very difficult indeed to find the hotel. Few if any taxi drivers will say if they do not know where something is - loss of face, fear of losing a fare and a tendency to say what the speaker thinks the listener wants to hear will all play a role here.

Even if you have a map showing the hotel's location, this may well not help - many Nepalis, and others in Asia, do not understand/relate to maps (I well remember a big problem at night in Bangkok a few years ago). Guides are used to maps. So for all these reason, if it were me, I would definitely see if the hotel can arrange your pick up, even if it costs a bit more, at least whoever they use will know where he is going.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussie Visa Question + Late Night Taxis

Thanks so much, I have negotiated with my flights and now get in around lunch time (and I have a hotel pick up). This way I'm a little less stressed about my arrival, and I get an extra half day!

rdccomments- that's interesting what you say about maps, it explains a few experiences I had in China many years ago!

Thanks again guys!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussie Visa Question + Late Night Taxis

Hello again,

It seems to be easier for you which is great. Enjoy your holiday in Nepal; it's awesome country.