We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather conditions following cyclone phailin?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather conditions following cyclone phailin?

I'm travelling to tibet and overland to kathmandu next week. I'm told tibet EBC access is closed (to cars) due to snow dumps from the cyclone.

I'm also then going to EBC -gokyo region. I've heard there's lots of snow. Any updates on conditions? How about going over passes? Is further gear required? Etc.

Thanks!

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather conditions following cyclone phailin?

conditions should be/could be/may be better when you get there

weather can not be predicted

go where you can and enjoy what you see

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather conditions following cyclone phailin?

Hello,

It's hard to say about weather next week however I have some information about the trek and current situation.

The weather was clear for last couple of days but today it's not clear. The whole sky in Kathmandu is foggy / cloudy.

There is snow on the high region though low region is pretty good. There was heavy snowfall some days ago but it might have stopped now. One of my group returned to Kathmandu few days ago and another group is currently in EBC route. People are crossing pass however it's covered by the snow as per my guide.

A good pair of trekking boots and trekking poles might be enough. You better hire at least a guide or a porter rather than trekking alone [if you are planning].

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather conditions following cyclone phailin?

I would say that it will be wise for you to have a Plan “B” – Or several Plan “B”’s

It is more than possible that the Friendship Highway will be blocked, so you will first have to decide whether to stay in Lhasa a few days to see if weather conditions improve – Or try to get a flight to Kathmandu.

Then once you arrive there, reassess the situation – Lukla flights were still operating a couple of days ago – But that doesn’t mean to say that they will be next week, or a couple of weeks after that when you will no doubt be hoping to fly back from Lukla to Kathmandu.

So – I think it is a case of crossing one bridge at a time – Maybe not exactly what you want to hear, but better a realistic outlook than some of the optimistic comments you have received so far ;-)

Good Luck

Rob

PS – Current conditions at EBC can be seen on the Everest Webcam at

http://evk2.isac.cnr.it/

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather conditions following cyclone phailin?

I would not worry about it re trekking in Nepal - by the time you get up in the Everest region, things will have moved on a lot from the situation immediately following the Phailin snow fall in the Everest region (which was apparently about 600mm or 2 feet deep). Even if there is snow, it is often quite possible to trek after 2-3 days - my main guide was up at Pangboche during the snowfall, and he and his 63 year old client got to EBC (my guide said it was difficult, but he is very experienced in snow) and they got half way up Kala Pattar.

Obviously you have to be VERY careful if there is heavy fresh snow fall, but the chances of snow REDUCES as you head into Nov - Dec - Jan, contrary to what many people think, or more accurately assume. Keep your ears open for info and keep an eye on the skies for cloud build up, and any major changes in wind direction and strength - latter could well indicate changing weather.

Even disruption at Lukla can clear in a few days - my guide's brother was also up in the Everest region with another party during the later stages of the recent bad weather - they had some disruption at Lukla, but it did not sound too serious.

I have never been to Tibet, so cannot really comment on that aspect, but I am sure you should be able to find up to date info on conditions re crossing by land from T to Nepal

Edited: 31 October 2013, 17:53
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather conditions following cyclone phailin?

Thanks all

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather conditions following cyclone phailin?

You are welcome, enjoy your holiday in this beautiful country!

7. Re: Weather conditions following cyclone phailin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 05:17