We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on Village Ways touring company

Sacramento...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Info on Village Ways touring company

Recently saw an announcement in the NYTimes re a travel company named Village Ways that leads "community-based" tours in India and Nepal. Has anyone traveled with this company and how would you rate your experience.

Look forward to hearing from someone.

Mentioned in this post
Sunrise Adventure Travels
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours, Helicopter Tours
Fishtail Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Mountain Monkey
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours
Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info on Village Ways touring company

Hello,

I searched the website and the agent you are talking about. They seem to be an India based international agent operating eco trips. I saw the itineraries and prices for Nepal and seems they are quite expensive. The same program with Nepalese outfitter will cost nearly 40% less than quoted on that site. Not sure how the agent was posted in NYTimes but you can write to Nepali agents with the plans to get quotations from here.

Mentioned in this post
Sacramento...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Info on Village Ways touring company

Thank you for the info. Any company you would suggest?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info on Village Ways touring company

Hello again,

I own an agency myself so I am not sure about other agencies. You can search in the internet or browse TAAN Members directory.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info on Village Ways touring company

I haven't heard of this entity - but if you want your money to go to the local community

i would suggest to stay away from anyone that is based outside of Nepal

and instead hire locally within Nepal

most of these agencies based outside of Nepal

keep hefty chunk for themselves while outsourcing to same local agencies back in nepal

may be this Village Ways is a legit - i don't know

but for for each hald way decent one there are ten others making profit for thesleves while window dressing the mssion as "comminuty based" "voleunteering" "helping poor" etc etc.

just an opnion

Edited: 22 November 2013, 06:41
Mentioned in this post
Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info on Village Ways touring company

Hi Art B

Good info is already posted.

Another thing about booking by an agent based aoutside Nepal is that due to laws in Nepal, foreign agents have to subcontract with a Nepal based agent. So you will end up using a local anyway, but at a much more expenssive price, than if you had cut out the middleman and booked directly.

Most of the regular members posting in here, is using the same agent again and again.

You are welcome to PM me, if you want information about the agent, I use in Nepal.

Mentioned in this post
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info on Village Ways touring company

The best holiday of our lives! We booked direct with Village Ways - they have an excellent website - and stayed in Binsar walking between the villages. Good basic accommodation, knowledgeable friendly English speaking guides and every rupee goingback into the local communities. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info on Village Ways touring company

I have no idea about the service they provide....but the prices they quote on their website for a single traveller on a 10 days village trek, is certainly indicating an extremely high standard. In my experience village treks doesn't bring that kind of luxury!

So I would still recommend to book directly at a Nepal based agent and save a good pile of USD's.

Gloucester
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info on Village Ways touring company

Have travelled with Villageways several times - which should indicate that we like their approach to village-based trips. Have just returned from their new Nepalese villages and also visited the Thar Desert in Rajasthan this time. Have previously walked in Binsar and the Saryu and Pindar valleys.

York, United Kingdom
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info on Village Ways touring company

I work for Village Ways, and can reassure you about our responsible tourism credentials. Our partner communities own and manage their guesthouses, which are simple but clean, comfortable and welcoming. Local people are trained and employed as cooks, guides etc, and everyone is paid a fair wage for their work. Guests have a private guide who accompanies them on walks. These are not standard trekking trips, so pricing comparisons may be difficult. We feel our prices offer good value for money. Our sales office is in India but on our trips you will deal with local people who benefit from your visit. For more, see our website www.villageways.com. Many thanks to those who have endorsed our trips!

David Quick, Village Ways

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Info on Village Ways touring company

Two years ago when we were in India on a six week trip, we looked into Village Ways Binsar trek and decided it was too expensive and we didn't have the time anyway. But, we did go on our own to Khali Estates (where this company starts and ends their treks) and spend several nights there. From there we were able on our own to hire a guide for day treks. We did walk into one of the villages advertised, met the residents and were served tea. These were not really what we would term "villages" but rather very small communities of perhaps ten to thirty people living clustered together. In the end we were extremely happy that we did it the way we did because we didn't feel that there was the diversity of villages that we had assumed there would be......

I know nothing about the Nepal experience with this company, but this is what we discovered about one of the Indian treks/tours o9ffered by this company.

Mentioned in this post