We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile network

Kingston-upon-Hull...
9 posts
Save Topic
mobile network

right as I'm doing EBC in march/april. I would like to keep my friends in blighty informed on how I'm getting on in nepal using facebook/watsapp on my mobile but this could be expensive but would like show my pictures on my progress. I understand I won't get a signal high up. but in KTM I should or is easy using wifi on my mobile? Any advice would be great cheers colin

Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile network

I would recommend ncell network for internet use , its cheap too comes with different internet data allowance too. However, Ntc will give best network/tower.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile network

Hello,

Most of the restaurants, hotels and guest houses have free Wi-Fi in Kathmandu, it should be difficult to connect. If you are thinking about data SIM card then another vote for Ncell. During the trek you will also get Wi-Fi connection in some places but can be expensive.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile network

based on my this years EBC trek experience

- yes wifi is the way to go which would be available in majority the lodges you will be staying at

- speed wise wifi in the lodges are ok for emails and text pages but audio video like skype, youtube is little spotty

- data SIM cards are pretty much usless after Namche if you ask me

- only few places on the trail after Namche there was any decent signal

- I had to wait until I reached Gorakshep (may be due to close promixity to the towers at EBC - required for all the expedition communciation) to make a call using the mobile network

(we had both NTC and Ncell btw which are the two major companies in Nepal that sell pre-paid cards).

- i saw few folks with world sattelite phones like Iridium and they seem to be yakking away wherever whenever (not sure if you want to spend that kind of bucks)

hope my info is helpful - all the best -

Edited: 01 December 2013, 04:00
Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile network

I also now regularly buy myself an N-Cell SIM for my mobile and found the network surprisingly good on my trek to EBC last year.

However I only used my mobile phone for talking and sending text messages – But I found this to be both a reliable and incredibly cheap way to keep in touch when on trek, I only paid around $10 in total for buying the card and charging it and I made several calls to Europe as well as many local calls and several texts and I still had money in the account at the end of the 7 week trip.

For photos etc, there are numerous places with Wi-Fi in Kathmandu and the larger towns in Nepal and this is either free or very cheap – But on trek Wi-Fi can be very Expensive !!

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: mobile network

Re mobile coverage up to EBC - I get the impression that this is still quite patchy, even though EBC is by far the most popular trekking route in Nepal.

It is interesting to read Neupaneaj's post, especially his report that even this year there were only a few places after Namche that had a decent signal, and that he had to wait until Gorak Shep so he could make a call - this despite having NTC and Ncell. I met a fellow Brit at GS in Jan 2011 and his UK mobile (O2, I think) worked OK at GS - I didn't ask him about other places.

When typhoon Phailin hit India in Oct 2013, I was in the UK and I texted my guide who was heading up to EBC to warn him it may hit Nepal - it did, with very heavy "unseasonal" snow. He and I exchanged several texts, then there was 3 days of total silence - very worrying. It seems he was between Namche and GS when he could not use his mobile - I eventually got a text from his brother who was in the area, but lower down, with another group.

All this has implications if people (trekkers or staff) get sick or injured - there may well be no mobile coverage, though quite a few lodges have satellite phones (I have never used one - they are expensive up in that part of the world).

Internet in Namche seems always to be reliable (or since 2005 at least), though not cheap.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: mobile network

I am wondering if anyone can offer advice on how to phone an Australian mobile number (with roaming) in Namche? That is the area code etc? My daughter has taken ill further along the track and brought back, and I am unable to reach her. I understand it may be difficult but I would like to try. I don't know where she is staying.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mobile network

To call an Australian mobile, call +61 (omit the first zero on the mobile number) and the number.

Eg if her Australian mobile is 0123 456 789

You call +61 123 456 789 from your mobile.

Just to clarify: if you are in Australia & your daughter, just call her normal number if she is using her Australian mobile & has roaming.

My precious advice is if you are NOT in Australia.

Edited: 29 September 2014, 05:28
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mobile network

Sorry posting on iPhone & not editing properly.

If you are in Australia and your daughter in Nepal, call her usual mobile number 0123 ....

If you are NOT in Australia ... +61 123 ...

9. Re: mobile network

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2015, 05:15