We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of blankets in lodges between Jiri and Lukla?

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Availability of blankets in lodges between Jiri and Lukla?

Sorry, I have asked this before as one of many questions in another topic but the question has become burried somewhat and I still hope that a few more people can chime in... :)

I'm going to trek from Jiri to EBC in March and I'm wondering if I can rely on getting a blanket in the lodges between Jiri and Lukla and then rent a sleepingbag in Namche for the more crowded (and colder) areas. If that is possible it would save me a lot of carrying on the Jiri-Namche/ Namche-Jiri part of the trek!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Availability of blankets in lodges between Jiri and Lukla?

blanket in the lodges are so so........

buy or rent a sleeping bag in thamel and be done with!!!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
118 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Availability of blankets in lodges between Jiri and Lukla?

You should be able to get blankets on this route as not so many people do it. The only time that I have been refused a blanket is when there have been too many people / porters and all the blankets have gone. That was at ABC, without a sleeping bag, and the temperature sank really low in the night. A horrendous experience. If I were you then I'd take Neupaneaj's advice and get yourself a sleeping bag.

Enjoy Jiri to Lukla.. its a very underrated trek.

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Availability of blankets in lodges between Jiri and Lukla?

Out of the 4 times I have been in the Everest region, I have only walked in from Jiri once, that was in Dec 2010. I also think it is a great walk - you get a great experience of the middle hills, it is much quieter and far less developed/adapted for trekkers than the main routes after say Lukla, and has a different feel to it. It helps get you more trekking fit and probably helps a little with acclimatisation.

An extract from my actual itinerary:

13 Dec: “express” bus from Kathmandu (bus station near Ratna Park) to Jiri – left c. 8.30, arrived c. 5.30, delayed approx 1 hour 50 minutes by a head on accident with a truck – no major damage or injuries.

14 Dec: 8.30 walk from Jiri (1995m) to Shivalaya (1770m) where had lunch, then on to Bhandar (2190m) arrive 5.30.

15 Dec: 8.55 walk from Bhandar (2190m) to Kenja arrive 11.15, then on to Sete (2580m) arrive 2.20.

16 Dec: 8.20 walk from Sete (2580m) to Junbesi (2670m) arrive 3.30.

17 Dec: 9.00 walk from Junbesi (2670m), lunch at Ringmo (2720m) then to Nhuntala (2230m) arrive 3.45.

18 Dec: 9.15 walk from Nhuntala (2230m), lunch at Khari Khola (2040m) then to Puiyan (2770m) arrive 5.40.

19 Dec: 9.05 walk from Puiyan (2770m) to Phakding (2610m) arrive 3.30.

From memory most of the lodges we stayed in on the above section had some sort of blankets, and it was not quite so cold lower down, but I had my own sleeping bag and would definitely carry it if I were walking in from Jiri in March. I was carrying my own pack (no porter) and the additional weight is not that great. There are some very well equipped trekking/mountaineering shops in Namche (the shop owned by the owner of the Zamling or Janling hotel has lots of authentic brand gear for climbers and trekkers), so you could buy a bag in N - I don't know about hiring one, but I would have though it would be possible, but my advice, as others, is to carry one all the way. Lots of people hire trekking gear in Ktm - I have not heard any moans/complaints and people are usually quick to moan if there is something they don't like etc, so I am sure we would have heard, many times, if people were regularly having problems with hired gear.

The walk in from Jiri seems to be getting more popular, judging by the number of posts asking about it. Also when I walked in via Jiri in Dec 2010, my guide had not done the Jiri walk for about 8 years or more, though he had been in the Everest region many, many times. Since then he has walked in from or out to Jiri and other places several times with other clients, as has his brother (who is also a guide), so it seems more people are doing it. I can well understand why - combining a walk in from Jiri with say the 3 High Passes (which is quite a tough trek) must be one of the best trekking experiences anywhere.

4. Re: Availability of blankets in lodges between Jiri and Lukla?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:17