We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria risk

Isle of Wight...
2 posts
Save Topic
Malaria risk

We are going to Nepal early April and staying in hotels during our stay we will be going to Lumbini for two days and Chitwan for 3 days

Do we need to take Malaria medicine?

Regards Andrew

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria risk

Medcine is a personal choice and you should really consult a travel physician, who is knowledgeable about tropical diseases.

There are some trustworthy guidelines about vaccinations and profylactic medicine here:

ciwec-clinic.com/health-information/…

And specific about Malaria here:

ciwec-clinic.com/health-information/…

Personally I don't take Malaria medicine in Nepal, but I might consider doing it, if I travelled there during monsoon. However every person must make their own choice, from what they feel is the safe choice.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria risk

I agree with Lisbeth and would also not bother to take Anti Malarial’s in Nepal in April – There is a small risk, but there is also a small risk of being adversely effected by taking the Anti Malarial’s and therefore. Personally I think it is up to the individual to decide for themselves which way to “Jump”

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria risk

Malaria advice for travelers to Nepal from CIWEC Clinic, Travel Medicine Center, Lazimpat, Kathmandu, Nepal

"the risk for the average tourist or expatriate seems very low in Nepal. In the 26 year history of the CIWEC Clinic taking care of travelers and expatriates, there have only been 2 cases of Vivax malaria that may have been acquired from within Nepal. We believe that there is no malaria risk in Kathmandu, Pokhara or the mountain trekking areas. This being said, malaria does exist in the southern belt of Nepal (the Terai) and risk is highest in the hot, rainy summer monsoon.

Chitwan, although it lies in the Terai, has a very low malaria risk. . . . We recommend mosquito precautions but generally do not recommend any malaria medication prophylaxis for short visits to Chitwan national park even in the monsoon season."

In four 3 day visits to Chitwan I've not taken any anti-malaria medication, and seemed to have survived (so far !)

4. Re: Malaria risk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:20