We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Up to date information on transport Pokhara to Jomsom Kagben

Dharamasala
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Up to date information on transport Pokhara to Jomsom Kagben

Can you tell me the times and prices for buses from Pokhara to Jomsom Kagbeni, and the present condition of the road? What's the price for Nepalis?

Also how much for jeep/car transport?

Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Up to date information on transport Pokhara to Jomsom Kagben

You first need to take a bus from Pokhara to Beni (every hour) then change to another bus to Jomosom. I've taken those busses only from Tatopani but there were no tourist price. Pokhara Beni was 230 rps I think (good road), Beni Tatopani 200 rps (atrocious road).

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Up to date information on transport Pokhara to Jomsom Kagben

Hello,

As mentioned on previous post it won't be difficult to find a bus to Beni from Pokhara can be difficult to find direct buses from Beni to Jomsom. When I visited last time there were two buses leaving from Beni to Jomsom; one in the morning and another in the afternoon. There will be other frequent jeeps but you may need to change them one or more than once on the way. If I am not wrong then there are no direct buses / jeeps from Beni to Kagbeni. You have to reach Jomsom first and catch another jeep heading to Kagbeni or Muktinath. Pokhara to Jomsom is paved road though it will be bumpy in some places. From Beni there road is not paved so it will be bumpy all the way. Not sure about exact prices but remember that tourists generally pay extra half or more than half of the regular prices paid by Nepali people. Sorry about this unfair rule!

Dharamasala
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Up to date information on transport Pokhara to Jomsom Kagben

That's great about the condition etc but if anyone can tell me the prices for this route it will help me to plan my budget as I have to pay for me and porter/guide! Thanks!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Up to date information on transport Pokhara to Jomsom Kagben

Hello again,

I did some research and found that the fare last year was like below:

Jomsom to Ghasa Rs 385

Ghasa to Beni: Rs 360

Beni to Pokhara: Rs 300

Total: Rs 1045

The price will be same for vice verse as well. If they have changed on the fares recently then I am not sure about that, it won't be different a lot.

If you are hiring a porter - guide through an agency then probably they will find out the exact fares.

Dharamasala
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Up to date information on transport Pokhara to Jomsom Kagben

Thanks! Now I'd like to know whether it is necessary to have a sleeping bag on the Mustang trek or not, as I'd prefer not to carry one or rent one if it's not necessary! Last year I found that everywhere I went they could give me blankets! Anyone know the situation now I'm the Mustang region?

Edited: 26 January 2014, 15:37
Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Up to date information on transport Pokhara to Jomsom Kagben

Hello,

There are two regions of Mustang Trek, one is lower region and another is upper region. Upper region is restricted area, and your trekking needs to arranged through a government registered trekking agency. You have to be minimum 2 people to apply restricted area permit to visit Upper Mustang area. It is compulsory for all foreigners wishing to visit Upper Mustang. Lodges are developed in Upper Mustang area now as well.

Lower Mustang area like Tukuche, Marpha, Jomsom, Kagbeni, Muktinath etc. do not require restricted area permit and a agency is not compulsory. You can easily travel on your own. Basically two permits, Trekkers Information Management System [TIMS] card and Annapurna Conservation Area Project [ACAP] permit will be required. Lodges are available in this area too.

Basically, I recommend all trekkers to carry sleeping bag through blankets will be available in the lodges. It is because in the high areas blankets and bed covers might not be cleaned up everyday. Sometimes the blankets or beds can be dirty so if you have your own sleeping bag you can get rid of this.

If you don't want to buy sleeping bag then you can simply hire one in Kathmandu and Pokhara. It will cost about $1 per day which is not much expensive.

7. Re: Up to date information on transport Pokhara to Jomsom Kagben

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 05:19