We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary and festivals Nepan in April

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary and festivals Nepan in April

Hi!

We are going to be in Nepal for 2 weeks in April (arriving 4th leaving 18th).

I need help with my itinerary. We want to cover the areas of Kathmandu, Bhaktapur, Nagarkot, Pokhara with small trekking to Poon Hill (I believe it takes 4 days?). And then Chitwan NP. We want to take flights to go to Pokhara and Chitwan, but I believe between Pokhara and Chitwan there are not flights.

I kind of had and idea of my itinerary but then I discovered that in Bhaktapur celebrate the Bisket Jatra on 14 April and we would really want to see it. Also I have read about the Balkumari Jatra in Thimi. I would like to know if it is really worth it to be there for those festivals. (Anyone could tell more more about Balkumari Jatra in Thimi please? and which day exactly they celebrate?)

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary and festivals Nepan in April

first night Kathmandu

6 nights Pokhara area

3 nights Chitwan

finish in Kathmandu/Bhaktapur/Nagarkot

that gets you for the 14th New Years Day

however you will have to look up the festivals as not sure

I think Bhaktapur is New Years eve - leading to New Years Day

and Thimi is New Years night - finishing New Years Day

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary and festivals Nepan in April

Thanks so much,

Which one is better, in case we have to choose one or the other?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary and festivals Nepan in April

Hello,

I am not sure about Balkumari Jatra and never heard about it however Bisket Jatra is interesting and one of the major Jatra around the valley. I am sure that you will love the celebrations.

4 days are enough to cover Poon Hill circuit however 5 days will give you time to relax without any rushes. If you can manage time then I personally recommend 5 days itinerary like below:

Day 01: Pokhara - Nayapul - Trek to Hile, Tikhedhunga or Ulleri

Day 02: Trek to Ghorepani village

Day 03: Poon Hill in the morning for sunrise and trek to Tadapani

Day 04: Trek to Ghandruk and visit traditional local museum

Day 05: Trek to Nayapul, drive to Pokhara

Then you can finish major places in Pokhara in about 2 days.

Then, Chitwan;

Day 01: Drive to Chitwan [no flights as you know]

Day 02: Jungle Safari in Chitwan, major activities done

Day 03: Morning activities, if you are interested then you can go for bird watching as well and fly to Kathmandu in the afternoon.

Then you can explore the rest in Kathmandu, Bhaktapur, Patan and Nagarkot. If you follow this kind of itinerary then I am sure that you will also have time to visit Bhaktapur for Bisket Jatra.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary and festivals Nepan in April

hard to say which is better

they are different

they have local cultural and religious meanings however if you just want some fun and colourful photos then it wont matter so if you miss the first one get to the next one

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary and festivals Nepan in April

Thanks so much for all the info. Much appreciated. One more thing. Does anyone know if domestic flights with Budha Air or Yeti are cheaper if bought once we are in KTM or it is the same price if we book them online from Australia. From KTM to Barathpur they are charging us Us $108. Is that too much?

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary and festivals Nepan in April

should be the same price

booking and paying from Aust is difficult

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary and festivals Nepan in April

Hello,

Some agents will provide discounts on tickets so you can book once you arrive too. My preferred airline is Buddha Air comparing to Yeti Airlines.

8. Re: Itinerary and festivals Nepan in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 05:18