We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everest Base Camp Trek...help please

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Everest Base Camp Trek...help please

I'm a 25 year old American female currently living in Thailand and am planning on going to Nepal in March to do the Everest Base Camp hike. I'm traveling alone and just have some questions.

1. Should I hire a guide or just go alone and meet people along the way? People have said the trail is easy enough to follow, but safety wise maybe I shouldn't be doing it on my own? Money wise what's the difference between hiring someone versus going alone?

2. I would like to avoid the death trap airport at Lukla if I can, flying in general can sometimes get to me and if I can do it another way I would love to. I've seen that you can walk via Jiri to get there, and as for coming back to Katmandu is there another way back? Also how terrifying are those plane rides?

3. I plan on getting into Katmandu around March 7 and will be in Nepal for a month. Weather wise, obviously I know it gets cold, but what is ideal to pack for this trek at this time?

4. Any other tips or anything that I should know?

Thanks so much!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek...help please

Hello,

1, Everest Base Camp Trekking can be done on your own without a guide. A guide is optional choice and many people prefer to hire one. There is no problem trekking alone and you will surely meet other travelers on the way. A guide costs about US$ 25-30 per day + US$ 100 approx. Lukla flight tickets. You will save this money if you trek on your own.

2, No, it's lifetime experience and don't avoid it. It's thrilling and different experience from what you had before. In another hand if you want to avoid it totally then it wouldn't be easy and you can to start and end in Jiri which will take nearly double [in terms of total days] duration than flying.

3, March is not cold like December and January. March will be the starting of Summer season so won't be that much cold except in high areas. Below is the link for suggested equipment list.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c134552/Nepal…

It's lovely trek so I think you will imagine the trek. Hiring a good guide will give you different experiences comparing to trek alone. You will also have someone to share your thoughts and tiredness.

Downloadable map for Everest: …umbra.cz/img/map/Khumbu_Sagarmatha_National…

Standard Everest Base Camp Itinerary: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c152405/Nepal…

Everest Base Camp with Gokyo Valley: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c138406/Nepal…

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek...help please

Sue

I am from the US and live in Thailand as well - I have to been to Everest region multiple times - most of what #1 suggested is sound.

In March trail is not as busy as in April or October but you will run into lots of trekkers and it is safe it terms of any wrong doings by people - but hiring a guide or someone who can be guide and porter is recommended - they can help you in emergencies, help carry your excess load or carry all of your load if you fall sick, help you book the lodges, help you order meals, give you company - they really are recommended. I usually trek by myself but always with a porter/guide. you could hire one in Lulka once you land for about $15 a day. No need to hire in ktm and pay for their airfare.

As for flying into Lukla - my response will be pretty biased, since I am pilot, I fly recreationally, but it is pretty safe than say riding a tuk tuk or back of motorbike in Thailand or a trip to grocery store in the middle of winter in most of upper states in the US in middle of winter with full of snow like right now .......but it is the perception issue – lot of people have fear of flying - since human beings did not evolve flying haha...........but believe me it’s rather thrilling and fun – otherwise consider 7 days to get to Jiri from KTM and another 7 days to get back from Jiri (although this can be shortened to may be 4 days each way if you take bus to places like Salleri from KTM)

As for clothing - KTM in March won’t be an issue - a light parka or even fleece will suffice - temp will be in lows 40s but afternoon will be bright and sunny with temp in mid 80s. on the trail however expect morning and evening temps to be in mid 20s so you will need a good parka or a down jacket as well as thermal underwear, gloves, caps etc. But if you didn’t bring much of winter clothing not to worry, in Thamel/KTM you can buy all your trekking gears and it's not that expensive. With as little as 200 bucks you could buy a parka or a down jacket, boots, thermal underwears, caps, cloves, wlaking poles etc. Thamel has gazillion shops to cater to trekkers . I know some will advise you to buy trekking boots well in advance - it is advisable but not end of the world if you happen to buy in KTM few days before trekking

If you need a recommendation on a guide or any other info you can PM me.

All the best.

AJ

Edited: 26 January 2014, 06:40
adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek...help please

I recommend taking a guide for your safety and support

don't think about the flights but you could walk in and fly out for something different

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek...help please

I'm considering doing the trek from Jiri and flying bak from Lukla. How difficult is it to get flights out? And I guess I'm just a big baby when it comes to flying in a tiny plane, and I'm hoping to get over it and fly out from there. I have a full month and don't mind one way of extra walking to see more, but possibly try to get back to Katmandu quicker.

I have some hiking boots that I brought from home. I'm hoping they will be alright for the trek. The jacket is what I was wondering about the most. And sleeping bags. How expensive are the jackets? I want to be kept warm, but after the trek I'm not sure when I would need it again.

And the tea houses...if I do end up trekking without a guide are they easy enough to find and any tips on food? I'm assuming I'll be able to charge my camera battery along the way?

Sorry if I'm jumping all over the place, I just don't have any friends who have done this before and I'm going alone so I need to be able to reassure my parents I'm not going to fall off the face of the earth.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek...help please

Also since I have a month, what would be a good and doable itinerary? I would like to have a couple days in Katmandu also.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek...help please

Hello,

You may need to buy your tickets in Kathmandu for Lukla - Kathmandu sector. It won't be easy to get seats from Lukla unless you in advance.

If you trek from Jiri then it's going to be long trek. Make sure that your boots are comfortable enough for the rest of the trek. China made fake North Face jackets are cheaper and quite warm as well. Lots of Nepal made down jackets are available for purchase as well. The prices for fake named North Face or any other brands are not expensive.

If you trek without a guide then it won't be difficult to find a room however as you are traveling during main season, sometimes you may need to share your room with strangers as most of the tea house rooms are equipped with two single beds. If the guest houses are busy then they will ask you if you are fine to share a room if someone asks. Foods are generally prepared fresh so will be quite hygienic. I mostly recommend my customers not to eat meat items as they won't be fresh in general.

You can charge your camera battery, some places will be free of charge and some places will charge you to charge. It might be about US$ 1,2,3,4 etc. for full charge. I am sure that it won't be more than $5 for full charging your battery.

The itinerary can vary depending on your ability, however the standard itinerary that I purpose for my clients is below:

Day 01 - Drive to Jiri (187 km) by local Bus - 8 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 02 - Trek to Bhandar (2,200m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 03 - Trek to Sete (2,645 m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 04 - Trek to Junbensi (2,675m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 05 - Trek to Nunthala (2,440m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 06 - Trek to Kharikhola (2,020m) -5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 07 - Trek to Puiyan (2,700m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 08 - Trek to Phakding (2,646m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 09 - Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441m) - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 10 - Namche Bazaar acclimatization day. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 11 - Trek to Phorste Thanga (3,680m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 12 - Trek to Machherma (4,470m) - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 13 - Trek to Gokyo (4,790m) - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 14 - Trek to Gokyo Ri (5,483m) and back to Gokyo - 5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 15 - Trek to Thangna (4,500m) - 4 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 16 - Cross the Cho La Pass (5,300m), then trek to Dzongla (4,710 m) - 7 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 17 - Trek to Lobuche (4,910m ) - 4 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 18 - Trek to Everest Base Camp (5,365m) then back to Gorak Shep - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 19 - Hike up to Kala Patthar (5,555m) early in the morning and trek down to Periche (4,200m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a Guesthouse.

Day 20 - Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,441m) - 5.5 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 21 - Trek to Lukla (2,804m) - 6 hrs. Overnight at a guesthouse.

Day 22 - Morning flight back to Kathmandu. Overnight at a hotel.

As mentioned above the itinerary won't be same for all trekkers. I personally recommend you to take a outline plan with you but it's not necessary to stick all the way with the itinerary.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek...help please

Thank you! I'm hoping to find other people interested in doing a similar trek so that I'm not alone, but if I can't I'm more likely to hire a guide.

How in shape should I be to not have too hard of a time?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek...help please

Hello again,

Of course it's long and not much easy trek. You will need some strength to make it however it's not undo-able. I have seen even travelers on their 60s or 70s doing Everest Base Camp Trek. You are young lady so definitely you have strength to make this trek successful. Courage is compulsory!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek...help please

Starting with your original post

There are 4 main routes into EBC

Lukla (By flight)

Jiri

Tumlingtar via The Arun Valley

Salleri

By far the most popular is Lukla as this is also the shortest route at around 14 days to trek for there to EBC and back

Then the next shortest option is Salleri

To get to Salleri you can either fly or go by jeep / bus, the latter takes around 24 hours and adds about 3 days trekking in and 2 out – So around 21 days

Kathmandu – EBC- Kathmandu

Then the next shortest Jiri / Shivalaya

To get to Jiri / Shivalaya is a full day’s journey by bus from Kathmandu and then about 6 days trekking each way to where the route joins up with the path near Lukla – so about 28 days Kathmandu – EBC- Kathmandu

Finally Tumlingtar

To get to Tumlingtar you can either fly or go by jeep / bus, the latter takes around 24 hours and trek to where the route joins up with the path near Lukla on the Arun Valley Trek takes about 10 days - so about 36 days Kathmandu – EBC- Kathmandu

So – If you don’t want to fly into Lukla, as you can see, your options even with a month available are somewhat limited.

It would seem from your second post that you might consider taking a Lukla flight one way and, I think that this is a good idea – But rather than fly out, I would suggest that you fly in

My reasoning’s are as follows

1) It gets it out of the way, if you really aren’t looking forwards to it then you really don’t want the prospect of it hanging over you and risking it spoil your trek

2) As Lukla flights often suffer from delays and cancelations, you know with a lot more certainty how many trekking days you have available – Sensible trekkers build in as many buffer days as possible to take into account of these delays / cancelations, so once you are there there is less uncertainty !!

So –To the route – I would suggest that you fly into Lukla, then trek to EBC and then trek out on The Arun Valley

I have trekked in to EBC on both the Jiri and The Arun Valley and in my opinion the latter is both the better route as well as being a lot less trekked, so you really do get that wilderness experience ;-)

As for the rest – Try and find a trek-mate both for company as well as to split costs with, don’t tie yourself into anything before you arrive in Nepal by paying a hefty deposit as All the routes I have mentioned can usually be organised within a day or 2 after arriving in Kathmandu (But reserving your Lukla flight would be a good idea - The simplest way is to sort out your Lukla Flights is to get a TAAN registered agent to reserve them for you – These can then usually be paid for when you arrive in Nepal (Unless you intend to fly within 24 hours of arriving in Nepal, in that case then a deposit to cover potential losses that the agent would incur if you didn’t show up would be required))

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Edited: 26 January 2014, 09:21
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek...help please

There are some big events during this march you can search bigger group from meetup.com where there are lots of group joining Everest Trail. It's better to hire a guide and I highly recommend you to trek from Jiri which help a lot for you to acclimatize as you will be going up and down for 6 days to reach below Lukla and on the way back you can fly to Kathmandu directly from lukla.