We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes, money , and general advice.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Clothes, money , and general advice.

Hi!

I'm setting of to Nepal for a week in march and I have a few questions.

1. I'm getting mixed signals about changing money - am I able to get Nepalese rupees in Australia?

2. My accomodation has been taken care of, im unsure of how much to budget daily - I'm pretty thrifty. (Kathmandu for two days, trekking Annapurnas for three days, white water rafting for two days, chitwan overnight, and lumbini for a day)

3. Trekking for three days in the annapurnas- what type of clothes should I take? I've never trekked before, in march what's the likelihood of it being wet? I like the cold, but wet feet are a pet hatred.

Thanks so much in advance!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes, money , and general advice.

Hello,

01, I am not sure if Nepalese rupees are available in Australia but I doubt if you will find a place. It is not hard to exchange major foreign currencies into Nepalese rupees once you arrive. Thamel where most of the guest houses are situated have numerous money exchange places, just walk into one and exchange your money. They will have exchange rates written in a sign board and mostly the rates are the same.

You can exchange small amount in the airport to pay for the taxi or pay for a bottle of water. Do not exchange all money inside the airport as the rates will be poor comparing to the town.

02, All activities you mentioned costs different amount of money. Roughly:

Trekking: about US$ 25 for your foods, US$ 25-30 for a guide / per day , US$ 15 for a porter / per day. Both guide and porter wage includes their meals, accommodation, insurance and salary. Do not hire staffs from hotels or travel agencies, always look for a trekking agency. You will need to pay separately for transports and permits if required.

Rafting costs about US$ 35 - 40 per day for Trisuli River. Depending on the river the prices might vary. Chitwan packages starts from US$ 85/90 for 2 night 3 days package. For Lumbini basically you need to pay only for transportation and entry fees if required. Accommodation is extra.

03, I personally recommend to do at least 4 days Poon Hill Trek rather than 3 days one. The same trek can be done in 3 days too however you will go and return via same route. If you make 4 days or 5 days trek then you will trek as a circuit / going and returning via different route.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothes, money , and general advice.

take Aussie dollars and change in Kathmandu

Nepalese Rupees can't be taken out of Nepal so don't have too many left over or give them away

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,510 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes, money , and general advice.

I got some NPR at NAB. You may have to order them in advance and the exchange rate won't be as good as in KTM.

I got $50 or $100 worth so I could become accustomed to the currency - and not have to faff about when I got there. However, there's an ATM in the airport, just before the exit, I think.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,606 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes, money , and general advice.

I am surprised to hear that NPR are available in Australia – They aren’t in the UK and as already mentioned, it’s illegal to take them out of the country !!

If it were me, I would change enough into US $’s to buy your visa (Although you could pay Australian $’s for this, but you would get a Very poor rate) and change the rest at a money changer in Thamel when you arrive.

Just take some warm clothes and a good sleeping bag on trek – Daytimes should be fine, warm and sunny – But what the sun goes down temperatures will plummet and it will be below 0 at night

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes, money , and general advice.

Thanks so much everyone for all the info, feel much more informed now!

Because my porterage and guide are taken care of (I'm taking part in an organised overland tour) I think I'm going to average $25 a day for food and entertainment etc. hope my layers will be enough! I will be in very warm India immediately after so hopefully I can manage to pack for both climates!

Thanks again everyone.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,606 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothes, money , and general advice.

As you are coming up from India, hiring a down jacket for your trek wouldn’t be a bad idea, these are available for less than $1 per day, so really no need to worry about the cold if you “Splash Out” and hire one.

Mind you, you would probably only wear it in the evenings when you have stopped trekking for the day and maybe again in the early morning

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothes, money , and general advice.

That sounds like what i may need to do. Where can you hire a jacket from?

Thanks

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothes, money , and general advice.

Hiring a jacket sounds like a good idea, I didn't know that was an option! Thanks so much!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,606 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothes, money , and general advice.

No Problem – Pleased to be of help :-)

Trekking gear can be hired out all over Nepal, the best prices and choice are to be found in Kathmandu, then second to that Pokhara – So for Poon Hill I would say Pokhara would be your own best choice.

Just check out a few of the trekking gear shops and compare quality, cleanliness and prices – For an idea of price, The shop I use in Kathmandu hires excellent clean down sleeping bags out for less than $1 per day

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

10. Re: Clothes, money , and general advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:22