We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days/4 night Kathmandu and Pokhara Itinerary

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
5 days/4 night Kathmandu and Pokhara Itinerary

Hi - I would appreciate some advice on the itinerary below please for a trip in late April (19 - 23). I am going to Nepal with my not-as-young-or-energetic-as-she-used to-be mum (so unfortunately no adventure sports). I know the general advice is that we should spend all 5 days in Kathmandu valley itself, but my mother really wants to go to Pokhara and I'm happy to get a taster rather than an in-depth experience. Bearing that in mind:

Day 1: Arrive at 2:10pm; go directly to Bhaktapur; overnight Bhaktapur

Day 2: Pashupatinah; Boudnath; Swayambhunath; KTM Durbar Square; Garden of Dreams; Overnight: Thamel

Day 3: AM Flight to Pokhara; Day in Pokhara; Overnight: Pokhara

Day 4: Full day Pokhara sightseeing; Overnight: Pokhara

Day 5: AM Flight back to KTM; Patan Durbar Square; Flight out at 6pm

Can you please tell me if the above itinerary sounds like a good one?

A few other questions:

- My mother seems to think that the drive between Pokhara and Kathmandu would be amazing and scenic. Is that true? I would rather not waste 6 hours on the road (we would probably take a private taxi if we had to). But if the views and experience would be worth it, then I might consider it on Day 3. Would it be worth it? And is there anywhere amazing to stop on the way?

- In Pokhara, I'd really like to stay in place around the $60 - $80 if possible but with the very best views of the mountains. Unobstructed if possible. I heard the hotels in east (near Fishtail Lodge) have the best views and the hotels in the main drag - North Lakeside have an obstructed view. True? What's your personal best recommendation?

Any help with all or one of my queries would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days/4 night Kathmandu and Pokhara Itinerary

with such a short time, flying both ways to Pokhara would be best

there are lots of places to stop and see if you drive but you do not have time

driving is very slow and a hold up is more likely than not

overnight in Bhaktapur

then go to Pokhara

return to Kathmandu for city sights

relying on getting back in time for an international flight is asking for trouble

allow plenty of time getting to and into the airport as it can be chaos

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days/4 night Kathmandu and Pokhara Itinerary

Hello

The better is by flight. Sometimes road might be jam/block so will not reach on time. Sure during your 200 km road journey you can see a lot of things but you have very tight schedule. You can add mountain flight to see the highest mountain Everest, Makalu, Kanchenjunga and more on second day morning.

Your schedule is bit tight so, take flight to and from Pokhara.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days/4 night Kathmandu and Pokhara Itinerary

Thanks for your replies.

Unless I turn the itinerary around and go to Pokhara on Day 2 AM, if I were to do the everest flight, would it be better to do it on Day 3, before leaving for Pokhara? Then I'd have to tackle the trip to the airport one less time. Would visibility in April be good?

Are flights that unreliable that scheduling a 9:20am flight from Pokhara on the last day and then a 6pm international flight on that same day be testing fate that much? I'd be happy to skip Patan Durbar Square if need be. If so, I suppose I'd have no choice but to reverse the Pokhara and Kathmandu sections of the itinerary.

Thanks.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days/4 night Kathmandu and Pokhara Itinerary

it is not the flights that are unreliable

it is the weather and it will do what ever it chooses to do regardless of your plans

think little planes big mountains big winds big clouds- not something to mess around with

if you fly to Pokhara then go without doing the Everest flight as you will see lots of mountains on the Pokhara flight

where are you flying to/from - you might see Everest from that plane

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,988 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days/4 night Kathmandu and Pokhara Itinerary

Some good info already posted

I Always advocate getting back to Kathmandu at least 24 hours before your international flight home – And as already posted, relying on an early morning flight from Pokhara the same day as your international flight home can be a poor decision as internal flights in Nepal all operate on line of sight, so if the weather is bad, the flight is either delayed until the weather clears, al cancelled

So with that in mind, Personally I would turn your trip completely around – As your mother fancies the drive to Pokhara (And I agree that this is a wonderful journey and a great introduction to Nepal) why not arrange a private car to pick you up from your flight when you arrive in Nepal and drive directly to Pokhara – You will do the bulk of the journey in daylight, but still arrive there around 8 / 9pm

Then have your day in Pokhara and fly back on day 3 and see the sites in and around the Kathmandu valley then – By doing this, if something did go wrong with your schedule, you would miss some Kathmandu sites and that has to be better than missing your international flight home

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days/4 night Kathmandu and Pokhara Itinerary

These are all good informations and regarding some of your other questions, as expected there are a lot of hotels in Pokhara, since you'd like to have the mountain views from your hotel room, i think it is better if you choose hotels on the Dam side of the Fewa lake, as this is the part of the lake where the Mt. Fishtails reflects when weather is clear. The other part, such as the north side itself has some hotels with good views of the lake and the hills surrounding by it.

If you do drive back from Pokhara or the other way round, you can stop by the Manakamana temple, which is dedicated to the Hindu goddess of wish fulfillment. (BTW, hindu religion has 330 million gods) The private car stops directly at the station and from there you can take the cable car ride to the top of the hill where this temple resides. It is not a big and artistic temples like the ones in the valley, but it sure has some good views of the Trishuli and Marshyangdi river valley. Plus, it is one of the most popular shrines for Nepalese people.

This whole tour can take about one hour. Another thing about driving on this route is that, you will see the architectural difference between the kathmandu and pokhara city clearly, whereas Kathmandu has more Newari styled houses and brick/cement structures, in pokhara you will see houses designed with stones and co-ordinated with beautiful colors.

Hope it helps and happy travels

Binaya, nepal one tours and travels

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days/4 night Kathmandu and Pokhara Itinerary

international flight scheduled to arrive at 2.10 I would say they will not depart in the car to Pokhara till 3.30 at the earliest and with a stop on the way for a cup of tea and some photos it is going to be very late getting to Pokhara

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days/4 night Kathmandu and Pokhara Itinerary

Not hugely experienced but we drove to Pokhara at around that time last year and the haze was down over the mountains, which is apparently common at that time of year. we found the journey unpleasant. It went on forever, the roadsides were ugly and there was no distant view of the mountains to compensate. My only other thought is that perhaps if she has never been in a developing country she might find the roadside life interesting but I suspect not (it would be interesting a bit off the main road of course but that will elude you)

9. Re: 5 days/4 night Kathmandu and Pokhara Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 06:16