We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Bandipur by bus

Guangzhou, China
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving Bandipur by bus

Hi there,

This forum has been of a great help for me to plan my trip and I really wanna thanks all the people contributing. There are still 2 questions where I couldn't find an answer.

1. Is the bus ride safer on kathmandu - pokhara or the pokhara - kathmandu direction? One direction must not on the safer side of the road.

2. When leaving bandipur, how to get on a bus direction kathmandu or pokhara? ( people all seem to recommend private car but this is a budget I don't want to spend on transportation) Do the better buses stop at Dumre?

Here below my ideal 9,5-day itinerary for reference. I've put my personal must see on the 7 first days and keep the last 2 days open in case something went wrong with transportation

Day 0 :Land in Kathmandu at 22:00

Day 1: Kathmandu

Day 2: Patan and Bungamati

Day 3: Early flight to Pokhara and immediate start of Poon Hill trek

Day 4: Poon Hill Trek

Day 5: Poon Hill Trek

Day 6: Poon Hill Trek, return to Pokhara

Day 7: Bus to Bandipur ( stop in Dumre and private car or bus to village )

Day 8: Bus to Bakhtapur overnight at bakhtapur

Day 9 (open day) maybe Changu Narayan and Dhulikhel

Day 10 (open day) flight back at 23:20

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving Bandipur by bus

there is no safe side of the road

so it doesn't matter which direction you go

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving Bandipur by bus

It looks like a good plan to me :-)

OK – Busses – There is no difference in safety whichever direction you are travelling in – Accidents with the Kathmandu – Pokhara Tourist busses are very rare, in fact I have been travelling to Nepal for 20 years and I don’t recall an accident on the route.

Busses to / from Bandipur

You should be able to get a direct bus from Pokhara to Bandipur, these will leave from the main bus station in Pokhara Bazaar; just get your Pokhara hotel to make enquiries.

Your alternative would be to catch one of the morning Tourist busses and ask to be dropped off at Bandipur road end, this is a mile or so before Dumre, you will either get a ride or another local bus from the road end – The local bus option will be a lot cheaper as you will have to pay the full Pokhara to Kathmandu fare on the tourist bus

Leaving Bandipur you have several choices – If you are travelling light there is an excellent walking route down to Dumre that takes about 1 ½ to 2 hours and all downhill – You could then flag down a passing Kathmandu tourist bus in Dumre

Or – You can catch a local bus from the buss stand at the end of Bandipur village – You might get one direct to Kathmandu, or get one to Dumre and then flag down a passing Kathmandu tourist bus

Once in Kathmandu you will have to make your way to Ratna Park bus station to catch the Bhaktapur bus – These leave regularly from just outside the bus station

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Guangzhou, China
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving Bandipur by bus

Cheers for all the answers and feedback on my plan. Much appreciated

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving Bandipur by bus

At Dumre, you've got local busses and minibusses (cales microbusses in Nepal) every 5 or 10 minutes in both directions.

5. Re: Leaving Bandipur by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:21