We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White water / trek questions

Level Contributor
180 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
White water / trek questions

Hi all,

Been looking into nepal more recently...

I am looking to white water raft there - between jan and feb - i fancy the bhote koshi but after contacting a tour operator he recommended we disnt raft this river during this time of the year?

Is there an alternative river to this, he mentioned Trisuli but the reviews iv read are mixed? I want to experience grade 4 or above ideally.

Secondly - is the ghorepani--poonhill-- back to Nayapul trek good? Am i correct in thinking this will be the 4 day trek to see sunrise at poonhill? Also is this the Annapurna mountain range we would see?

Any maps / images would be a good help here.

Thanks in advance :)

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White water / trek questions

Ghorepani - Poon Hill can be anything from 4 to 6 days, depends on your choice of route. Options here for a 6 (or 5 for fitter trekkers) day route that will give you plenty of variety, great views of Annapurna South, Hiunchuli, Macchepuchare,, and is a circular route

Day 1: If you are flying to Pokhara I'd suggest that on arrival you then go by road to Khare, then trek to Pothana (or. if you're going well, to Bichok Deorali)

Day 2: Trek to Landrung (or do the extra couple of hours up to Ghandruk)

Day 3: Trek via Ghandruk and Tadapani to Banthanti (or Ghandruk to Ghorepani)

Day 4: Trek to Ghorepani (Poon Hill, then descend to Tirkedungha or Hille)

Day 5: Poon Hill, then descend to Tirkedungha or Hille. (3 hour trek via Birethanti to Nyapul. Drive to Pokhara)

Day 6: Trek via Birethanti to Nyapul. Drive to Pokhara

The quickest route -

Day 1: Nyapul - Tirkedungha

Day 2: Long ascent to Ghorepani !

Day 3 & 4: Poon Hill, then descent.

seems a bit rushed !

Have a look at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c199035/Nepal…

For rafting, you might try the Kali Gandaki,

Day 1: a 3 hour drive from Pokhara to the put in, then straight into a couple of fun Grade 4 rapids. Numerous Grade 3 to follow.

Overnight camp

Day 2: Grade 4 then numerous 3s

Overnight camp

Day 3: A few minor (2-3) rapids, then a lake (last time I rafted it we got a tow along the lake). Take out before lunch, then drive back to Pokhara.

It's a fun river, and the scenery is superb (and unlike the Trisuli, you aren't sharing the valley with a major road)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,885 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White water / trek questions

The Poon Hill Ghandruk area is extremely touristy.

Carthage, Tunisia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White water / trek questions

Just been with a group who rafted the Bhote Kosi at the end of February and there were quite a few other groups also doing it. The only possible problem is getting stuck on rocks due to low water levels.

Level Contributor
180 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White water / trek questions

Thankyou very much for the information guys.

So if i was to arrange the kali gandaki river rafting this would be 3 days? The poonhill trek say 5 days, 2 days in pokhara (paragliding etc) and 2 days in kathmandu?

Does that sound do-able / wise considering the travel between. The guy iv spoken with whose organising a package was on about taking a short flight to pokhara then bus back after the trip -

Itinerary would be something like -

Land in kathmandu - that day / next day sight see etc

Day 3 fly pokhara - paraglide etc 2 days

Not too sure where the Kali gandaki would depart from eg kathmandu or pokhara... (Help here lol)

Day 5 start poonhill trek...

Day 10 bus back to kathmandu

Day 11 fly out of kathmandu?

Id sooner get a plan together here which works to save quizzing the tour operative about every smaller detail etc

Thanks for the patience guys. Rob

Edited: 12 March 2014, 07:26
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White water / trek questions

Kali Gandaki,

Day 1: a 3 hour drive from POKHARA to the put in, lunch, then straight into a couple of fun Grade 4 rapids. Numerous Grade 3 to follow.

Overnight camp

Day 2: Grade 4 then numerous 3s

Overnight camp

Day 3: A few minor (2-3) rapids, then a lake (last time I rafted it we got a tow along the lake). Take out before lunch, then drive back to Pokhara.OR KATHMANDU

Your outline itinerary doesn't seem to allow time for rafting ! The shortest rafting trip would be a half-day on the Trisuli as part of your Pokhara to Kathmandu journey. Leave Pokhara early morning, drive (approx. 3 hours), raft, drive to Kathmandu.

6. Re: White water / trek questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:27