We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm going to Nepal in July and I'm scared!

scotland
Level Contributor
120 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
I'm going to Nepal in July and I'm scared!

As I said I'm freaking out about going to Nepal in July. My Daughter is getting married there and I am so very scared of flying inside Nepal on small planes. I'm also scared of everything else to do with the monsoon...Can some one please give me some positive advice as I have/want .. to go to the wedding...I've been to India a few times and love it.( also I don't have a clue how long to stay for as I don't know if it possible to travel anywhere safely in the month of July...eg Pokhara.. My Daughter is getting married in Nepalgunj)

Thanks in advance Gill

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm going to Nepal in July and I'm scared!

The odds are very much on your side ! Although Nepal has a worse safety record than many places in the West for air safety that's partly because some of the airstrips involved, for example Lukla, Jomson, are in valleys in high mountain areas where the objective dangers are greater. Kathmandu to Pokhara is a short, and relatively lowland, flight.

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
753 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm going to Nepal in July and I'm scared!

Nepalgunj is not a very attractive place but its airport has a long tarmac runway so no need for STOL planes there.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm going to Nepal in July and I'm scared!

Hello,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

Nepalgunj is in the lowland area so it's not flying into Jomsom or Lukla. The planes are also slightly bigger than the ones flying to small airstrips. You will be OK!

Good Luck!

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm going to Nepal in July and I'm scared!

stop freaking out as there is no need

the only thing to freak out about is why would anyone choose a ramshackle border town as a wedding venue

as already stated there is no need to be concerned about flying as it isn't in the mountains

just allow extra time in case of weather delays

if you can cope with India then perhaps you could arrive into Delhi and travel by road (or train for the most part if you prefer)

then after the wedding have a car and driver to go to Bardia National Park then on to Pokhara and Kathmandu for return flight home

just be prepared for some rainy periods which should be easy for a Scot

Sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm going to Nepal in July and I'm scared!

You will probably be flying an ATR 72 or a Jetstream 41 for the ktm nepalgunj sector. The airport in nepalgunj is fairly busy and its runway paved. Stop worrying in todays world where a 777 can go missing everyones jittery of flying.

West Harptree...
Level Contributor
977 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm going to Nepal in July and I'm scared!

Excellent advice so far.

Compared to India Nepal is a dream.

It's your daughter's wedding, you have to go so take a valium if it halps. You would regret not going for the rest of your life if you did not do this.

I am flying to Lukla next week. It's one of the most dangerous airports in the world but if I let fear take control I wouldn't even cross the street in front of my house.

Enjoy the wedding

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm going to Nepal in July and I'm scared!

You don't need to worry while flying Nepalgunj. You might think once while flying to Lukla and Jomsom, they seems dangerous but Pokhara, Nepalgunj, Biratnagar, Bhairahawa are safe airports in lowland.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm going to Nepal in July and I'm scared!

Allthough flying safety is better in Europe, you could consider thinking about your internal flights with the fact in mind, that the pilot and co-pilot have family they want to go home to too.

scotland
Level Contributor
120 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm going to Nepal in July and I'm scared!

Gold Stars for you all! You have made me feel less stressed!. Thank you for all the advice and support... Gill

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm going to Nepal in July and I'm scared!

one more vote that if you survived india - nepal will be a cake walk

as for flying in nepal - as a pilot i can tell you that it is statistically still safer than say driving down M74 from Rutherglen to Glasgow - no worries!!!!

although because of high terrain - flying in nepal is always challenging compared to other places on earth

not sure if you want to turn this into an epic journey travelling via road from India as #4 suggests – getting scammed in northern in india in railways is far more risky!!!

but i do agree with him - Nepagunj is a not a cool town at all ...why on earth people even live there - let alone gettin' married there haha.....

if flying within nepal is completely off the list -

i say hire a private car from ktm - stop in kurintar, pokhara, syangja, ramdighat, tansen, madiphant, butwol on your way to nepalgunj. these are amazing little hilly towns along the way - that gives you glimpse of pure and innocent Nepal (take a pill between butwol to neplagunj though – haha…)

good luck – it won’t be that bad – plus you will love Nepal far more than other neighboring countries – just sayin