We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas week in Nepal

greatyarmouth
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas week in Nepal

Please can you help me. We are planning a week in Nepal, probably over the Christmas Period, before flying to Kerala for some sun.

I see that tourists tend to leave early December, is this because of the weather ??. Does it make sense to visit when we planned ??

Thanks to you all in advance.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas week in Nepal

if you are coming to nepal for christmas festival apsect

then the answer is no - pardon my ignorance - i mean on the nature of your question

but if you want to get away to an excotic destination during christmas - then yes nepal certainly could be an option

but dcecember is post trekking season - valley will be colder in mornings and evenings and there is daily load sheddings aka blackouts - (expensive hotels will have a generator 24/7 - rest - be ready from some candle light evenings)

you could still do the valley - see places n' all

see mountains via flight

it all depends on what you want to do

if nepal is a must do on your list - come in april or oct time frame possibly for two weeks

do a light trek and get closer to the himalayas

all the best

Edited: 30 March 2014, 16:42
Kathmandu, Nepal
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas week in Nepal

December is cold enough to , you cannot trek to Himalayas. only for Christmas is not meaningful for visit .

greatyarmouth
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas week in Nepal

I only used Christmas to describe the dates, realising the differents religions, and festivals

What sort of temperatures can we expect ??,

And we could do a simple trek?,

Would we be able to organise everything once we arrive, because I assume it would be quiet ?, or do we need to plan in advance.

Thanks again

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas week in Nepal

temp in KTM in dec =>- 0 Deg C in the Mornings, Mid 20s and Sunny Afternoons (quite plesant actually), Evenings about 5 Deg C

as you can see - temp is pretty mild - a lot of people think Nepal is a cold country - it is true only in higher elevations -

as for a simple trek - since you are there only for a week - you could do a trek near KTM valley lasting one or two days.

and yes everything can be arranged once you get there

all the best

AJ

Edited: 31 March 2014, 07:08
Launceston...
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas week in Nepal

Hi there,

I spent 2 weeks in Christmas 2012 in Kathmandu, I wasn't trekking, just stocking up for my handcraft market business. The weather was exactly like a Tasmanian late Autumn. Around 3 deg overnight and up to 15 or so in the day. I only wore my down vest and not a down jacket, stayed until Jan 5th. It didn't rain but was just a little foggy in the morning. I loved the temp. Rather this than the humidity. My room had a heat pump (air con) which I used only a few times to take the chill off the air in the morning. I did take a hot water bottle. I have been there in February and it has been colder. Like everywhere the weather patterns are changing and not so reliable any more..

I did notice a lot of Asian tourists, not too many Europeans. Pokhara was fantastic for New Year if you had time to head off there. Pokhara's temp. is a little milder than Kathmandu. It really comes alive over the New year period from the 29th to 31st Dec.. with a huge street festival.

I have trekked in Everest area in mid December and people do continue to trek throughout Dec/Jan. Of course passes may be closed due to snow, but there can also be snow in other seasons. I think it can be one of the best times of the year if you are prepared for the cold if you do decide to go trekking.. You can arrange everything once you arrive quite easily. Just pop into a few agencies, ask some questions and get a feel for things.

I can offer a recommendation of the agency I use if you wish through pm here.

Hope this helps a little.

Suzie

greatyarmouth
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas week in Nepal

This helps more than a little,

Many thanks

7. Re: Christmas week in Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 05:17