We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better exchange rate with Candian or US dollar and other ??

California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Better exchange rate with Candian or US dollar and other ??

does anyone know which is better exchange rate- CDN or USD? Also, other than the Visa on Arrival, what must I pay in US Dollars?

Is the TIMS and ACP , Green Line Tourist bus from KTM to Pokhara Round trip payable in USD , Canadian or in Nepalese rupees. If all, which is the better rate to pay?

Do I pay all restaurants including tea houses on Trek Nepalese rupees?

Are sites such as Durbar square in USD or Nepalese Rupees?

Just don't want to exchange more than I need? I plan to only exchange 20 USD at KTM airport just to take taxi to Radisson Hotel . Is this good enough to start? What should the price be?

Thanks so much.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better exchange rate with Candian or US dollar and other ??

USD is better than CND. Mostly USD gets slightly better rates with money changers. You can also pay in CND for visas but other travelers posted that the exchange rates in Immigration Counter is poor, so bring some USD with you.

TIMS, ACAP and Greenline is payable in Nepalese currency, it's fine to pay in Nepalese as well.

All the restaurants and tea houses expenses are payable in NPR, better to pay in NPR as well.

Monument and other sites entrance fees are also paid in Nepalese rupee.

20 USD is enough for start in KTM airport. The taxi is about NPR 600 - 700. To be hassle free you can get a prepaid taxi in the counter.

California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better exchange rate with Candian or US dollar and other ??

Do I need crisp dollar bills or just new looking bill?

Espoo
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Better exchange rate with Candian or US dollar and other ??

Re #1: could you tell what the exchange rates for each currency are at the moment?

Espoo
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Better exchange rate with Candian or US dollar and other ??

At least the Nepal Rastra Bank has the smallest buy/sell spread on Canadian dollar, which means it has the best rate for people buying rupees with it.

I do not get where these "USD gets slightly better rates" comments come from. Back them up with real examples, please. Exchange markets are so self-balancing that one currency can not be favored over some other even in a regulated market like Nepal.

Speads today: USD 0,00624%, € 0, 00626%, £ 0, 00622%, CAN 0,00590%, AUS 0, 00624%.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better exchange rate with Candian or US dollar and other ??

Money exchanges give better rates for US$ than CND. I mean to say if you ask for better rates inside money exchange counter they will give you higher exchange rates than posted on their Notice / Exchange board. Generally, these higher amounts or the differences between posted rate and given rate are always better for US$ than for CND. The rate difference between posted and actually rate will be always higher for US$ than for CND.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better exchange rate with Candian or US dollar and other ??

For more clarification, I just called a money exchange that I regularly visit. Below are the rate differences:

Currency:

For 1 US$ the rate posted in the board outside is 94.26 but the rate they will give is 95.80. There is 1.54 rupees difference.

Similarly, for CND 1 the rate posted in the board outside is 85.90 but the rate they will give is 86.30. There is RS 0.4 difference.

That is how I said money changers give better rates for US$ than for CND.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 12:18
Espoo
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Better exchange rate with Candian or US dollar and other ??

That would be natural if the spread for CAN is smaller to start with. So by this "get better rate with USD" actually means people can get with USD as good rates with bargaining they are getting automatically with CAN?

That means USD rates are worse than CAN rates...

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better exchange rate with Candian or US dollar and other ??

I don't say it bargaining, I just say it asking for better rates that money exchanges will easily give you. Some money exchanges write "Ask for better rate inside" on their rate board outside. The bargaining rates or better rates are generally better for US$, that is all I mean to say.

9. Re: Better exchange rate with Candian or US dollar and other ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 06:15