We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kathmandu and Pokhara - 12 days. Few questions.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
608 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Kathmandu and Pokhara - 12 days. Few questions.

Hi, we are wanting to visit in October/early November (best time I gather) and would have 2 weeks in total, so probably around 12 days in Nepal. We've never been before. We are fit and active and love nice scenery and usually travel independently. We think Kathmandu and pokhara will be a good introduction. We want to do some mountain biking (together and also maybe a day or so for my husband on his own (he's more an expert!) from Pokhara and would rent bikes. We also think we should try a short trek - or preferably a few separate day ones. I'm quite happy to book flights (although I gather we have to book internal ones whilst there from an agent?) and hotels. I'd like to pre book places to stay to save wasting time and have some kind of schedule in our minds. Can we do this using local agents when there? I'm really not wanting our whole trip organised by a company if possible, we'd rather hire a car and driver for a day if needs be. Any suggestions for how to divide our time would be welcome as I think we need to be getting stuff booked! Oh, an Everest sightseeing flight would be a must too! We've been to Thailand and Cambodia but no other parts of Asia. I'm happy to look for places to stay, it's rather suggestions for day trips etc that I'm wanting (rough itinerary) we'd stay in ktm before and after pokhara for international flights.Thank you so much.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kathmandu and Pokhara - 12 days. Few questions.

You can easily book hotels from booking.com or Expedition or Agoda when you are there. Most hotels are listed on those sites and reviews of that particular hotels will be available there as well. It shouldn't be difficult for you to find hotels on your own.

Arranging your trip from home is easily doable. You do not need an agency to travel around Nepal. Arranging a mountain once you are in Pokhara is easy as well. 4/5 days trek probably to Poon Hill will be nice option. If you want shorter option then you can travel around Dhampus, Australian Camp and Sarangkot. Both are beautiful treks.

Some information to travel around cities is also available in this link: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c182391/Nepal…

Kathmandu and Pokhara is linked well by road and air. Both tourist buses, local buses or vans and flight are available.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
608 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kathmandu and Pokhara - 12 days. Few questions.

Thank you. I'd actually prefer to research and book my own hotels as I usually do so that's good. I think I need to use an agency to book the ktm to pokhara flight I believe? And an Everest flight too. Just deciding how long to allow in Ktm and how long in pokhara (time either side in ktm). We've looked at some biking options and short treks and will have to decide, looked at Australian base camp and poon hill and once we've exact dates I'll email a local agency and try and get it pre booked so our passes can be organised. anyone with suggestions please feel free to post!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kathmandu and Pokhara - 12 days. Few questions.

Booking flights with agencies is good option. They will usually ask for flight deposit in advance, as long as they receive the payment you can get flight tickets in your inbox. All airlines use E-tickets now so it's easy get one.

3/4 days in Pokhara and 3/4 days in Kathmandu will be good idea in my opinion. Depending on your itinerary and interest both places can be explored in less time or can spend more time as well.

Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kathmandu and Pokhara - 12 days. Few questions.

Hi, I hope you have fun planning. I just got back a couple of weeks ago. You might want to check out my itinerary and comments here....

tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g293889-i9243-k…

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kathmandu and Pokhara - 12 days. Few questions.

Hi yah...prefect timing for you to enjoy your adventure in the Himalayas...if you love he idea of mt biking there are few options that can take you closer to the mountains n bike along the old trekking trails hardly used by Trekkers now but I just love it there...you can drive/fly to pokhara...chill for a day n the next morning take a flight to jomsom n bike to Kagbeni...explore the little medieval village and spend a night in the 350 year old now converted into a guest house n make sure you take the opportunity to enter one of their prayer rooms/chapel that houses the statue of lord Biddha...the following day you bike down to kalo pani n the next to the hot springs...from there you hike to poon hill...it is a long walk but very rewarding for the following morning for a sunrise over to poon hill...you can then take about two days to get back to pokhara or spend another day walking in the woods and make it to Pokhara and finally back to kathmandu...the medieval villages not far from kathmandu are my favourites on mt bikes where you get to bike along the single tracks of the paddy fields and enjoy a typical Newari meal along the way...gotta be a bit adventurous with the good...hot n spicy...you gotta try them...sth exotic...water buffalo...yum😜!

6. Re: Kathmandu and Pokhara - 12 days. Few questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:15