We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Suggestion

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Suggestion

Hi,

I am a newbie to Nepal. All I know about Nepal is from my friends who has been there.

I am planning a 5 day solo trip in March 2015. I have to plan far because I heard Nepal is not really a cheap place so I really have to save hard for it.

I am not there to show off my friends that I have climb a 5000m mountain. I am not that strong or fit either to do that.

My main objective to Nepal is leisure trekking. I am keen to see the majestic snow cap mountains, valleys and canyons.

I heard from my friends that Kathmandu is a pretty congested and polluted place. So if this is true, I would prefer to be outside the city.

I am a budget traveller. So staying in 3 star or even hostel is good enough as long as they are safe and clean.

May I know for such limited time I have in Nepal, can you suggest a trekking itinerary? I am ready to take bus or a flight if necessary (though try not to to save cost).

Again I only have 5 days. So if I arrive on Monday, I will need to fly out by Friday. I will be arriving in KTM around 1200hrs and leave 1300hrs on the 5th day.

By the way, may I know how is the weather in Nepal in March generally? I was told it is the dry season?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Hello,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

You really don't have much time to go out of Kathmandu; ie Pokhara or Chitwan or so but definitely you can do short treks / hikes near Kathmandu valley. The best option is Chisapani Nagarkot Trek. It's 2 and half day trek, leisurely and if views are clear you will see some good peaks as well. Something like [from Kathmandu]:

Day 01 - Drive to Sundarijal, trek to Chisapani village

Day 02 - Trek to Nagarkot

Day 03 - You have two options; one trek down to Changunarayan and drive to Kathmandu or trek to Dhulikhel and drive to Kathmandu

Nepal is quite safe comparing to many other countries is Asia. There are many budget hotels available. Standard hotels start from US$ 25 per night / with breakfast for single occupancy.

March is early summer so it will be a bit warm around the valley. Here is some information: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-s208/Nepal:We…

Good Luck!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Hi Rhythm,

Thank you very much for your input. I am looking into your suggestion.

I am thinking of extending till 6 days trip now.

I read from a previous thread that with a 6 days trip, it is possible to do Poon HIll.

I will post another thread on this.

Thanks.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Hello,

Saw you are from Singapore; amazing place. Planning for my second visit in mid August.

Well, even 6 days is tight for Poon Hill Trek but it's doable. Something like:

Day 01: Fly to Pokhara in the morning, drive to Nayapul and trek to Tikhedhunga [long but doable but in another hand in case of flight delays you may need to walk till evening]

Day 02: Trek to Ghorepani Village

Day 03: Climb Poon Hill early morning and trek to Tadapani or Ghandruk [trek to Ghandruk for my recommended itinerary]

Day 04: Trek to Nayapul and visit some places in Pokhara

Day 05: Fly to Kathmandu, sightseeing of some places nearby

Day 06: Departure to Singapore

For your kind information the itinerary is very tight and not recommended for most travelers but it's doable if everything goes well.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Hi NPLGUY,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I was quoted by an agency in KTM and he propose the following plan. May i know is the plan feasible? Note that I want a leisure trek and not amazing race type.

It seems to be similar to what you have proposed by the way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday

Arrive in Kathmandu and assistance at the airport and transfer to Hotel Tibet

Tuesday

Fly Kathmandu to Pokhara and drive to Nayapul and trek to Ghandruk [1950 m]. 20 minutes flight and 1.30 hours drive and 5 hours drive. Overnight at local Tea house Lodge

Wednesday

Trek Ghandruk to Ghorepani [2850 m]. 7 hours trek and overnight at local Tea House Lodge

Thursday

Early morning visit Poon Hill [3210 m] and continue trek to Tirkhedhunga [1540 m]. 6 hours tek and overnight at local Tea House Lodge

Friday

Trek to Nayapul and drive back to Pokhara and connect flight to Kathmandu and connect international flight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I will to extend my trip to 6 days and I want to maintain the same itinerary, how do you think I should change the schedule? I really do not want to miss my flight out of KTM.

Alternatively, I am willing to shed off some trek by taking a transport but I heard the Ghorepani trek though touristy but it is a nice trek.

I am thinking of taking Thai Airway where it arrive KTM around 1200hrs and leave KTM around 1330hrs.

Am I asking too much?

Thanks.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Hi again,

The itinerary is quite similar to the one I posted. I think Ghandruk - Tadapani - Ghorepani will be a bit tough for beginners. It's uphill trek most of the time [except Tadapani - Banthanti part] and quite steep. The one I said is also similar but in my opinion easier than the one you mentioned.

I will never recommend Trek to Nayapul, drive to Pokhara, fly to Kathmandu and take international flight. The agent might not be mentioning the risks that you have. I would never recommend it to you.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Hi NPLGUY,

Thanks for the advise.

This means if I insists on Poon Hill, I will need 7 days at least. 8 days will be better.

I am not that interested in trekking Kathmandu Valley.

May I ask for your recommended trip, is it a very intensive trek like 7 hours in a row or it can be a leisurely pace?

May I know which part of the trek is the most strenuous and would you say that the trek is tough for beginners?

For the Nayapul to Tikhedhunga trek, how many hours do I need to trek?

Thanks.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Hi again,

On post 3 I suggested you 6 days itinerary though a bit tight. If you have 7 days then fine and you won't miss international flights for sure unless there is serious strike going on.

Poon Hill Trek is easy to moderate for most trekkers. I don't consider this trek as tough one. Below are my average hours:

Nayapul - Tikhedhunga: about 3-4 hours

Tikhedhunga - Ghorepani - about 6 hours

Ghorepani - Tadapani - 4-5 hours

Tadapani - Ghandruk - 3-4 hours

Ghandruk - Nayapul - 3 hours approximately

Only day 2 [Tikhedhunga - Ghorepani] is a bit tough as you will be climbing uphill almost all time. After Ghorepani it gets down mostly [except less than an hour climb to Tadapani]. Nayapuk - Tikhedhunga is also uphill walk but it's not steep.

uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

It sounds like you don’t really want to hike just see some nice scenery which you can do from a mountain flight. If you do a 4 day poon hill trek it will take up most of your trip and you will not see anything else in Kathmandu or Pokhara. Plus day 1+2 are tough days…maybe 5-8 hours depending on your pace..but you can get a jeep all the way to Tikhedunga for 20-30 USD. Another option is 3 day trek Nayapul – Ulleri , Ulleri – Ghorepani and day 3 all way down. I did this and it wasn’t too bad.

I would say spend 3 days in KTM, do mountain flight and then fly to Pokhara $100 each way and maybe just do a 2 day hike to Australian Base Camp+ Gandruk. And 2 days in Pokhara…alternatively from Pokhara you can go to Sarangkot and see the mountains at sunrise and leave the trekking.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the advise. I appreciate it.

Some of you may think that I am lazy to trek and still want to see nice scenery.

To clarify, this is not the case.

I do not want to be in a situation where I hurt myself and the poor guide and porter have to carry me down to the nearest town for assistance.

Though I have paid the porter and guide money for their service but their help and guidance during the trek is immeasurable to me. So I do not want to further bruden them with a clumsy person like me.

I almost died climbing Mount Pulag while trekking in the dark. So I know my limits and will not push myself too hard. I still have a family to take care of at home.

"You are here to enjoy the trek and view and not to prove something." This is what my Mount Pulag tour co-ordinator reminded me.

Once again, thanks for all the precious advise and for sure I will be back with more questions.

Thanks in advance.

10. Re: Itinerary Suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:16